Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,460
    Given: 7,713
    Mentioned
    467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

SomeOldGuy's random thread, cloning, seedstarts, growing, etc, etc, etc.

0 Not allowed!
    i decided to post up a random thread with all things 'old guy' because i thought it would be nice to have a place where i can post up some of what's going on in my wierd little world and because i'm too lazy to keep up with a regular grow log documenting a particular grow with regularly scheduled updates.

...there's also the fact that i've always run a perpetual harvest almost from day one, i actually broke my teeth running a high density micro-SOG when i first began this journey, at first in a closet and then, when i moved and lost that closet, in my purpose built bloombox linked in my sig and in that cab, when at capacity, i was running 55 plantlets in 1liter smartwater bottles and where i was pulling 10 of those budsicles every 2 weeks.

...and i mention this in part to explain my username, first my 'surname' Guy denotes that i'm a man of course, then my middle name, 'Old' shows that i've been around the block more than once, and then my first name 'Some' was chosen to help me remind myself to stay humble, i can sometimes tend toward arrogance so i need the reminder, lol.

...you'll also note that i chose the name carefully for all the reasons above while also making sure that my 'initials', SOG also state, in bold letters, the style i've always grown in, even today i'm running a SOG but on an 8 to 9 week cycle rather than a 2 week cycle, i grew to really hate harvesting every 2 weeks, and the house always reeked of skunk if you know what i mean, lol, now it only stinks for about 10 days every couple months, ...harvest time and the aromas that go with it always seem to me to be the time when i'm most exposed if you know what i mean.

...anyway, my plan with this thread is to haphazardly document some of what goes on in my world and where i can maybe showcase some of my keepers.

...so to begin here are a few shots of my new Worm Factory 360 and a pound of worms i put in there a few days ago.

DSCN0785.jpg

DSCN0786.jpg

DSCN0787.jpg

...here's a close-up where you can see the worms and some green material that just happens to be loosely shredded leaves recently defoliated from my veggers, lol, i'ma thinkin' my worms will be getting a fair bit of mj vegetation in thier diet, both dried and fresh.

DSCN0787--.jpg

...oh, and i finally got around to doing some cloning today and i took pictures so i'll be posting those up, with explanations, later today, in case anyone is having trouble with cloning and needs a simple, reliable low-tech way to root clones, 80% to 90% success your first try is not out of line with 'my' methods, which are not mine in any way but just stuff i learned studying other peoples work, this cloning method is actually adapted from a thread posted on the old Overgrow site before it was shut down, fortunately it was salvaged by someone and they shared it on ICMag and that's where i learned it some 7 or 8 years ago.

anyway, my grobro is here so i'll be back!

terminator.jpg

peace, SOG

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,499
    Given: 6,391
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Sub'ed! IN! Hanging! Love it!

1476089_997568880258225_5580477824661363368_n.jpg

I brought some snack packs!

Peace and Love,
    "I don't count the days ... I see no purpose ... I'm with them EVERY day ... for hours ... we have no calendar ... no clocks ... When they're ready ... THEY'RE Ready ... No sooner ... No later ..... LOL, the only thing I "count" are my Blessings! ..... Grass"

“If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

WOODY

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,310
    Given: 6,084
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Nice SOG!
    You are a busy dude.
    Be careful about the ink on the newspaper, colored ink can be bad if its not Veg. ink.
    I put cardboard boxes in mine instead of newspaper, just shred it a bit,you can usually find cardboard that has no printing on it, the worms love it and it makes for excellent place fro the breeding worms to lay eggs. (whens is the last time you picked up a wet piece of cardboard of the ground and didn't find worms in it?)
    Make sure you don't overfeed as well, it gets anaerobic pretty quick, I find they don't each as much as people say they do, maybe thats just mine, getting use to all the good shit I feed them. (the wife jokes I feed them better than her)

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,466
    Given: 2,035
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    hey there SOG, this thread sounds like it should be interesting and informative so i will be sticking around. might pull up a seat next WWW and help him out with those snacks i think lol

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by WildWoodWeed View Post
    Sub'ed! IN! Hanging! Love it!

1476089_997568880258225_5580477824661363368_n.jpg

I brought some snack packs!

Peace and Love,
    thanks brother and you always know to bring the best toys to the party, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazzer View Post
    Nice SOG!
    You are a busy dude.
    Be careful about the ink on the newspaper, colored ink can be bad if its not Veg. ink.
    I put cardboard boxes in mine instead of newspaper, just shred it a bit,you can usually find cardboard that has no printing on it, the worms love it and it makes for excellent place fro the breeding worms to lay eggs. (whens is the last time you picked up a wet piece of cardboard of the ground and didn't find worms in it?)
    Make sure you don't overfeed as well, it gets anaerobic pretty quick, I find they don't each as much as people say they do, maybe thats just mine, getting use to all the good shit I feed them. (the wife jokes I feed them better than her)
    thanks man and yeah, i'm definitely a noob with the worms and i realize now that the shredded paper and the newspaper 'cover' i used were both the wrong things to use, ...i'm planning on feeding my worms my collection of old phone books, lol, i'm pretty sure that paper will be good plus, i get plenty of stuff delivered so i've always got cardboard boxes to get rid of so it looks like the best of them will become worm food.

Quote Originally Posted by stutter View Post
    hey there SOG, this thread sounds like it should be interesting and informative so i will be sticking around. might pull up a seat next WWW and help him out with those snacks i think lol
    thanks man although you may get bored with watching my lazy, low-tech methods, lol, i'm not lazy exactly but i've managed to raise procrastination to an art form so, on the surface at least, i'm a lazy old phuck, lol, but inwardly, i'm moving all the time.

all kidding aside, when i need to get stuff done i get it done, but i'm a DIY'er at heart and lackadaisical in my approach so sometimes my stuff looks half-assed to the 'untrained' eye.

anyway, thank you all for stopping in and i hope i can keep things interesting and entertaining.

now i think i'll go get something to eat.

Double-Meaning-Pic-2.jpg

peace, SOG

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...so, let's see if i can't get that cloning stuff up like i promised.

first off here is a link to the thread where i learned this elegantly simple passive cloning technique, ...and don't be put off by the haters, haters gonna hate, lol.

World class cloner new at walmart

haters-gonna-hate-13.jpg

although i have to admit that you don't really need to read more than the first posting to get a handle on the few simple rules to make this work and i plan on sharing them also so the truth is you don't actually NEED to read even the first post but i'd suggest you do anyway if this technique interests you because there are MANY testimonials by some very gifted growers who swear by this method.

so, as i said above, i did some cloning today and i used two sets of cuts, one set i took 2 nights ago and stuck in jars of water until this afternoon (did i mention that i'm a lazy such and such?) and then the second set of cuts i took on Jan. 29th, wrapped the cut ends in damp paper towels and then i put them into 1 gallon ziplock bags and then i put the bags in the vegetable chiller drawer at the bottm of my fridge,

...i've had good success storing cuts in stasis like this for as long as a month, after a month the failure rates start to climb but i've had some root after 6 weeks in the fridge, but it's definitely more hit or miss after that much time, anyway, these were only refrigerated for 18 days so i'm expecting 100% rooted clones or damn near by golly! ...lol, well, more a chuckle than a lol but lol has to do, lol. ...and no, i'm not giggling, just messin' with you is all, lol.

anyhow, here's some pictures.

DSCI1699---.jpg

...note the baggies with the dated labels and one of my 'cloners' cut down into 3 pieces, each with 9 'cells', this allows me to run smaller batchs, back in the day i ran the full monty with all 27 cells filled and sometimes i ran 2 or 3 full cloners, my cloner cab actually was built to house 4 of these bad boys so that would be 108 rooting cuts in the space of 4 shoe boxes.

DSCN0802.jpg

...some standard horticultural vermiculite.

DSCN0803.jpg

...and some Green Light rooting hormone powder just 'cause i have it, it's also cheap to buy and it lasts a LONG time, ...frankly though this cloning tech works with or without rooting powders or gels so like i said, i'm only using it 'cause i got it, i spent the money to buy it so, by God, i'ma gonna use it, lol.

DSCN0804.jpg

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...ok, so here i am getting set up with all three small cloners lined up and ready to be filled with vermiculite, note the vial sitting on top of the Green Light rooting powder, that vial came from a ph drip testing kit and it's perfect for this job as i can put a 1/2 tsp of the powder in the vial and just dip the cut ends in the powder and then stuff them into an empty cell, easy peasy. (i should mention too that i don't sweat cross contamination so any powder left in the vial just sits and waits for the next time i'm running clones, in truth the powder i'm using today has been in that vial for maybe 3 months and i've run clones with it maybe a half dozen times, as it happens, i ran it dry almost today so the vial will get washed and refilled for my next cloning run but if you look in the picture you can see how cruddy it looks)

DSCN0805.jpg

here you can see all cloners dry filled with the vermiculite...

DSCN0806.jpg

and here you can see that after i fill the cloners and while they are still dry i push a finger down into each cell and pack it down fairly tight, not as hard as you can but still with authority, you don't want any air pockets in the vermiculite, for this to work reliably you need good contact between the stem and the moist vermiculite.

DSCN0807.jpg

then, after i pack each cell down i back fill with more vermiculte and then i put some water in the 'reservoirs' and wait about 10 minutes to give the vermiculite time to wick up moisture.

DSCN0808.jpg

so, after the 10 minutes i repack each cell and here you can see that as tight as it seemed when dry, once wet you can push it down another half to a quarter inch, again, you don't want to pack it as tight as you can but you want good contact.

DSCN0809.jpg

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...yeah, these shots are pretty self explanitory i expect.

DSCN0810.jpg

DSCN0811.jpg

DSCN0812.jpg

DSCN0813.jpg

DSCN0814.jpg

i guess i should note the empty molasses jar filled with water in the upper right hand corner of the pics, whether i'm working with cuts from my fridge or cuts fresh from thier donor plants i like to put them into a jar of water right up to the moment when i stuff them into a 'cell' of the cloner and i should also mention that when i'm working with cuts that have been in stasis like this they will often have brown ends where they are cut so with these i always re-cut the ends before dipping in the rooting powder and stuffing them into the cloner.

with fresh cuts i like to use a jar of water so i can take each cut, stick it in the jar, take another cut, stick it in the jar, take another... you get the idea, lol, this way the freshly cut ends sit submerged until i dip them in the powder and 'pot' them up, as it were.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    467 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    again, these shots are pretty self explanitory, the last three shots show the 3 small cloners in my cloning cab and the last also shows a few rooted clones on the bottom left and some new seedlings comin' along, i always like to have at least a few beans running in my search for new keepers, lol.

DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0816.jpg

DSCN0817.jpg

DSCN0818.jpg

...anyway, the 'rules' to make this method work are very, very simple, keep about an inch of water in each reservoir so they don't dry out and keep the reservoir temps around 80 degrees which would be death in any kind of bubble cloner or ezcloner so 80 degrees sounds nuts but in this case it's where you want to be.

note that when i built this cab i intentionally designed it with an open shelf for the cloners to sit on with all the lights below that shelf, the intent was to veg newly rooted cuts on the floor below and to passively capture the heat from the bulbs to warm the cloner reservoirs and i guess i got lucky 'cause my res are all steady at 80 to 82 degrees and that is the perfect range for these cloners.

another thing worth noting is that the cloners all root with nothing but reflected light from the bulbs down below, when i first built the cab i originally had 3 bulbs down below and 1 up top but that upper bulb proved to be too hot and unnecessary and i haven't used it since the first run after the build.

...and now i think i'll hit the sack and come back tomorrow with a few more pics.

peace, SOG

doublej

0 Not allowed!
    keep up the good work@sog I am stuck in the perpetual 2 week harvest cycle I know exactly what you're talking about. But I'm starting to catch up. Always good reading your stuff,appreciate your time....DJ

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast