Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Thread: What is this?

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 3
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is this?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I was curious if someone might know what this is?

I'm growing outdoors hydroponically with air-stones in a greenhouse where there's very high humidity. I'm not seeing it on much of the leaves (yet) and figure its likely from some sort of mold. I'm not that experienced growing so figured I'd get some opinions from more seasoned growers.

Thanks

20190121_154605[2].jpg

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,738
    Given: 927
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I don’t know. But in nature, this plant decomposition is normal.

Without hesitation please remove it from the hot house...

Place it in your compost heap.

Dr.Chas-THC
    Advanced Nutrients, CLW SolarStorm 880,
    EZ Clone 16,
    Gorilla Grow Tent 5’ x 5’ x 6’11” ~ 7’11”,
    Gorilla Gear Board ~ Hurricane Super 8 Fan,
    HyperFan 8”~HyperFan Hyper Climate Control,
    Magical Butter II, 1000w MH, 400w MH,
    Method Seven Operator LED,
    MountainAir Big Air Volatile Organic
    Activated Carbon Filter 8”x40”!!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,237
    Given: 2,172
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Davido777
    Judging by the small amount of the plant i can see i would sgree with you, that it is a sort of mold. I would assume that due to the "dark splotches" amidst the dead/dying section(s) of the leaf. There are sprays that you can use that are geared specifically for such a problem.

There are also home remedies. Some of these home remedies create a "layer" on your leaf to keep spores from being able to take root on the surface.

----

One of the first steps to consider is just removing the leaves that are infected before moving on to other solutions.

Natural remedies are one to consider first over the commercial variety if you’re into saving a little bit of money and the outbreak is not that severe.

Natural Remedies
    These solutions can be found around the house and are safe for leaves and buds.

Baking soda: one teaspoon per gallon of water

Spray solution on your leaves and buds. Check the next day, then spray twice on second day,wait one day if still around repeat

Apple Cider Vinegar: 2-3 teaspoons per gallon of water

Spray solution on your infected leaves. Check the next day, then spray twice on second day,wait one day if still around repeat

Milk mix 1 part milk to 3 – 5 parts water

Spray solution on your leaves and buds. Check the next day, then spray twice on second day,wait one day if still around repeat

I have not tried the milk natural remedy but I have heard from other growers this method works well in the first stages.

One grower has reported he tried a milk solution and was successful.

Mix 400 ml milk to 600 ml water.

Leave the solution in container in the Sun for about an hour. Then spray your plants

Check out the comments for the science behind it.

Hydrogen Peroxide for mildew: Use 1 tablespoon per gallon

Spray solution on your leaves and buds. Check the next day, then spray twice on second day,wait one day if still around repeat.

Some of the natural remedies I use in the garden are baking soda or hydrogen peroxide solutions.

Once the outbreak is beyond manageable with natural remedies, then it means you must immediately move on to tested organic, safe foliar sprays to save your garden.

Potassium bicarbonate which is like baking soda but is much stronger and will kill the spores of the mildew very quickly.

Natural Organic Products
    Neem Oil a natural and organic oil that comes from a neem tree in India.

It’s great for removing mildew. It also has additional benefits of being an insecticide and is great killing insects in the garden.

Four teaspoons per gallon of water.

Sm-90 for powdery mildew is a natural product produced from plant oils is a great foliar spray to use to combat mildew and mold and can also enhance root growth.

Making this a great solution and can be used in multiple applications once the mildew is eliminated!

Green Cure Fungicide is for organic production and is made up of a Potassium bicarbonate that stops and prevents powdery mildew.

It’s also beneficial for all other fungus infection on your plants.

Green Cure has been tested in over 200 universities and is registered with the EPA

Safergro Mildew Cure is natural fungicide that is safe for organic food production and long lasting to control and prevent powdery mildew.

Banish the name says it all. This will literally banish any powdery mildew on your plants.

What’s really cool about his stuff is it works at the root of the fungicide.

Banish also creates a layer over the infected leaf to prevent mildew spots to germinate on contact with other leaves or plants.

---

You will see these are for mildew...it will work for the mold as well. Next thing you need to really do is a "root cause analysis". This is where you determine beyond what the effect is. The cause it what needs to be addressed

----

Humid conditions mould ventilation
    There are three conditions that need to be met for both Botrytis and Powdery Mildew to take hold. These are:

Cool temperatures
    Stagnant air
    Wet/humid conditions
    So the best way to prevent both diseases is to ensure that no one condition ever persists for long, and certainly not all together.

These are all quite easy to prevent indoors. A cool temperature is anything under 20 degrees Celsius. Ensure you have a decent ventilation system set up to ensure constant air movement, and try to prevent overcrowding of plants that may inhibit air flow. You should also be able to control the humidity of a grow room using ventilation, keeping things in order.

Outdoors is a little trickier. A lack of breeze, cool nights and rain can all stack the odds against you and help mould set in. As such, it is important to choose your grow site with care, ensuring there is a good airflow. Some growers will erect tent-like structure over their bud if they know heavy rain is on the way, and even shake them after a rain spell to shake out any excess water that may be sitting on leaves and buds.

Trust us, when it comes to these diseases prevention is everything

----

Thing is...if you are having trouble during "veg period" with keeping mold/mildew at bay, your not to distant buds of the future will face even more problems. "Botrytis" (spelled correct?) The buds are superb at collecting moisture and rotting on the stalk. There are strains out there that are mold resistant. UK Cheese is one of them off the top of my head.

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patient puffer View Post
    @Davido777

Wow that was a lot more information than I was expecting, thank you for your time! I will definitely be revisiting this.

I have some food grade hydrogen peroxide lying around so I think I'll start with trying that. You really hyped up milk but I am plant based so I like to minimize using animal products as much as possible, just how I am.

Allow me to give more information though...

So it's probably about halfway through the bud cycle at this point I believe, maybe less (I want to drag it out as long as possible...) and the problem is fairly recent so I'm glad I wasn't having to deal with this during early veg or anything.

I was tempted to just cut all the infected leaves, but I'm just really concerned about sending the plant into shock since it's already deep into the bud cycle and I've had bad experiences before and I kinda figured the fan leaves can act as a sort of filter to stop the spread to other leaves since the mold's source is ultimately the root system right? But of course mold spores are probably spreading from the infected leaves, especially in an enclosed space (good point about ventilation, I'll see if I can do something about that). It's also actually more of the fan leaves than I thought too after inspecting the plant today but it's still not really much. Should I just try spraying all the leaves with a hydrogen peroxide mixture and cut the really bad ones, or cut any that show these symptoms and then preemptively spray the other ones?

More info...

I started the plant indoors in a small grow tent which it quickly outgrew and actually started the bud cycle while it was in there with the hopes of not having to put it outside, which I now realize was foolish. Seems like a kind of strange time for me to have put it outside for budding since I figure around the Autumn Equinox is the most ideal time, but the whole thing really wasn't planned out. Found a good seed and had the resources to start growing so I did. We are of course starting to get the 12-12 ratio of day and night right now in Southern Cali so it's going smoothly so far..Just hope I have enough time for the full cycle. Here's some more picture of the plant. You'll notice it has a lot of leaves.. I neglected to prune it during the veg stage since I pretty much just put it on a timer, added some nutrients to the water reservoir and forgot about it, giving it more water like once every 2 weeks or so (which is part of the reason I love hydroponics so much).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Davido777; 01-23-2019 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Added/Rotated Pictures

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Davido777
    You sneaky little devil. You gonna get a mid winter harvest iutdoors? Brilliant! Yeah bro, open up that tent when you can. That will keep it dry enough. Close it at night so she stays warmer than outside. We have a chunk if 12-12 brother. Seedlings can NOT safely be put outside until late April. Early May to be safe. Seedlings and clones differ. Vlones are more sensitive to anything close to 13.

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Why thank you my good sir. It was more done out of necessity than anything but I love that it's working out. Hopefully the end result is actually good. I've never had a good harvest, but last time I tried growing ganja was probably like a decade ago when I had way less knowledge and wasn't doing hydroponics. Didn't realize that difference about clones and seedlings thanks.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    296 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Davido777
    Never put clones out doors at 38° N Lat. (S.F. Bay Area) earlier the May 5th. Asking for trouble. Southern Cali has a tad more than us by than. Seedlings i have seen go out late April without supplemental lighting and they didnt flower (bolt).

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,738
    Given: 927
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Did you clean up your problematic leaves? Just wondering what happened...

Dr.Chas-THC
    Advanced Nutrients, CLW SolarStorm 880,
    EZ Clone 16,
    Gorilla Grow Tent 5’ x 5’ x 6’11” ~ 7’11”,
    Gorilla Gear Board ~ Hurricane Super 8 Fan,
    HyperFan 8”~HyperFan Hyper Climate Control,
    Magical Butter II, 1000w MH, 400w MH,
    Method Seven Operator LED,
    MountainAir Big Air Volatile Organic
    Activated Carbon Filter 8”x40”!!