Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Thread: Broken branch

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken branch

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

I need your help: I have a Northern Lights in week 4 of flowering. Yesterday I noticed that one of the main two branches had its leaves turning yellow. But its only one branch, the other is ok. So as I looked in detail, I noticed that the branch had snapped slightly in the main node and it seems like its becoming rot cause it's showing signs of it.
    What can you suggest please? Is there some form of bandage or patch that I can make to help it heal? Do you think it can heal at all?

Thanks!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,250
    Given: 2,213
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Sativa guy
    Depends how far advanced the branch is to dying. If caught in time you can just tape it back. I have used electrical tape with great success after snapping branches (whoops!) Get the branch pressed back up against the main stalk and secure with the tape. Some people put honey on the break as a kind of organic patch to keep air off of it. I haven't ever used the honey trick but have read of it being used for clones and for this application.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for your reply Patient puffer.

I don't think its too advanced. The leaves are just slightly yellow, as when they're lacking nitrogen. The area near the node which is greyish is about 1/2 inch only.
    Today I cut a bit of aloe vera plant and rubbed the liquid around the wound. I was advised to buy a product made of propolis. I will do as you suggest, thank you!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I used honey cause it was the first thing that came to my mind due to its healing properties. I was advised not to use it though. The reason given was that due to its sweetness it could attract bugs.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 28
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patient puffer View Post
    @Sativa guy
    Depends how far advanced the branch is to dying. If caught in time you can just tape it back. I have used electrical tape with great success after snapping branches (whoops!) Get the branch pressed back up against the main stalk and secure with the tape. Some people put honey on the break as a kind of organic patch to keep air off of it. I haven't ever used the honey trick but have read of it being used for clones and for this application.
    I’ve used the honey tape and tie straps, yes it works just make sure what ever you use to bandage don’t get it too tight...!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,643
    Given: 1,551
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I accidentally cut right through, pretty much 90% of the way through, one of the four main colas on my current bloomer late on in veg - I was gutted but then remembered that someone had mentioned duct/duck tape. I taped it back on immediately and tied some soft support wire higher up in such a way so as to give additional support while she rejoined - bear in mind i had pretty much cut her right down to the skin. It didn't make one jot of difference thankfully :-)

In fact at one point i thought that cola was developing better lol but things have levelled off. It was with a brand new razor blade which like an idiot i was using to slice off some newly forming lower down growth sites needless to say i learnt my lesson (the almost very, very hard way) and will never be doing that again. Given i had topped her once that could have severely affected at least 25% of my harvest...i think i was lucky the blade was super sharp and made a perfectly clean cut - which meant the stem hadn't been crushed which no doubt led to quicker and better healing i.e. internal structure of stem wasn't really impacted and everything still 'lined up' nicely.

However remember to check on your taped bits VERY regularly, especially if you're in veg (i.e. stems/branches are growing rapidly). I had to remove it and apply some new stuff as she was pushing through it with her ever growing muscles - and this happens very quickly indeed, given the plant is trying to reinforce that area and protect from future breakage i guess.
    Last edited by IronLionZion; 01-14-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    2nd Grow : [U] https://www.marijuanagrowing.com/sho...emental-Seeds)[/B]

1st Medical Grow - Achieved over 1g per Watt!!! 1 x Berry Bomb (fem by Elemental Seeds), 250w HPS throughout, Coco Hempy, SCROG, Grounded

Bio:
    Started micro-dosing in mid '15. Also provide my wife meds for various issues inc. chronic pain.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,250
    Given: 2,213
    Mentioned
    302 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Indoors and outdoors both, i have utilized short lengths if straws cut down its length to wrap around injured plants. Whether bent or cut. I do 2 of them. One from one side. Ome from the other side so one is wrapped over the other. I tape those up and it gives budless branches a chance to heal withoit being wrapped in tape. No luxury like this, when the branch snaps on main stalk. Gobs of tape as is mentioned. Electrical tape has too much elasticity and "give" when higher temps are reached. So Duct Tape is the superlative choice.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,746
    Given: 929
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I’ve used twist ties as well, small loop on both ends, and then secure it to near growth, if it’s available.

If all else fails, snip it, dip it and root it. ;-)

Dr.Chas-THC
    Advanced Nutrients, CLW SolarStorm 880,
    EZ Clone 16,
    Gorilla Grow Tent 5’ x 5’ x 6’11” ~ 7’11”,
    Gorilla Gear Board ~ Hurricane Super 8 Fan,
    HyperFan 8”~HyperFan Hyper Climate Control,
    Magical Butter II, 1000w MH, 400w MH,
    Method Seven Operator LED,
    MountainAir Big Air Volatile Organic
    Activated Carbon Filter 8”x40”!!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 189
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Good Morning,
    If it's a large branch that's broken I use sheetrock screw and then coat with a medicated tree tar to seal the crack.

The screw will not hurt the plant one bit and offers better support than just tape.

If you're going to use tape then use popcyle sticks on both sides to stabilize the branch.

All the above methods will work. I'm just partial to sheetrock screws. It's important to seal the wound to keep bugs and mold out.

Keep them green
    Muk

PS I even got termites one year from a untreated break. You don't want to get termites!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,746
    Given: 929
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I’d hate to wake up to termites, with morning wood. Hahaha
    I can find humour in nearly everything... grin
    What’s sad about that, someone thought of this before me...
    6DCF0A4A-E655-4577-BB79-3FF026D7E45F.jpeg

5BDDC3D2-186A-46B2-A5EF-44772DE6CE85.jpeg

CC292142-0EA9-4E72-BDE7-72F787DFB0FB.jpeg

Dr.Chas-THC
    Advanced Nutrients, CLW SolarStorm 880,
    EZ Clone 16,
    Gorilla Grow Tent 5’ x 5’ x 6’11” ~ 7’11”,
    Gorilla Gear Board ~ Hurricane Super 8 Fan,
    HyperFan 8”~HyperFan Hyper Climate Control,
    Magical Butter II, 1000w MH, 400w MH,
    Method Seven Operator LED,
    MountainAir Big Air Volatile Organic