Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asking for advice on LED lighting choice

0 Not allowed!
    My grow space is 66L x 23W x 60H. I think that's 12.5 square feet. I've been running a 400 HPS with adjustable ballast but I've never been able to run it above 300W and usually at 200W due to heat concerns. I really don't want any louder ventilation system than I have. I grew successfully with CFL's but they also ran hot, the life span of the bulbs was short, and I didn't see the plants as vigorous as running the MH/HPS combination. Although I have no experience with LED's I strongly suspect I can better utilize this grow space by hanging two LED units. I want a bang-up room with maximum yield. I've been growing stout indicas for some years now (pictured is Granddaddy Purple I just harvested) and finishing them at less than two feet height. I'd like to explore being able to allow them to get taller with more intense, better coverage lighting from LED's. I'm not satisfied with my yield and my light intensity is too centered due to the rectangular space. I suspect that with LED lighting I can grow a more even canopy in my room. Any advice? What lamps should I buy for this space? Is two 400W full spectrum lamps enough? Would running two 600W lamps be too much? Or would a 3-lamp configuration be the most desirable for an excellent canopy of colas? I like those LED lamps that have the daisy chain spec.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,917
    Given: 1,013
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Buy a hyper fan, allowing you to turn up the light...
    Get the hyper fan climate control with it.
    600w are the way to go for mh or hps today...

Dr.Chas-THC
    Advanced Nutrients, CLW SolarStorm 880,
    EZ Clone 16,
    Gorilla Grow Tent 5’ x 5’ x 6’11” ~ 7’11”,
    Gorilla Gear Board ~ Hurricane Super 8 Fan,
    HyperFan 8”~HyperFan Hyper Climate Control,
    Magical Butter II, 1000w MH, 400w MH,
    Method Seven Operator LED,
    MountainAir Big Air Volatile Organic
    Activated Carbon Filter 8”x40”!!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 79
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome, arch
    Best suggestion I can give you when deciding on lighting is to work 'backward'.
    Most HID or older generation led fixtures need approximately 50w/ sq ft of floor space to achieve adequate intensity. Current generation diodes need aprox. 30w/ sq ft to achieve the same light level. If you are looking to use leds, I would invest in the best tech I could afford. For that space, 320w of led strips or quantum boards would crush that space. Plenty of complete fixtures available or if you're DIY savvy, try https://ledgardener.com/category/builds/

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks but I'm thinking more like Mars Hydro or comparable units but I don't know what to buy at what wattage. I was thinking 2 Mars Hydro 300's but is that really enough? The specs in ads and listings for that unit says coverage of 1.5 x 2 feet or 2 feet by 2 feet. At that rate, I would need 3 of those. But at the rate of 50-60 watts of LED per square foot, I would only need between 600 to 700 watts, meaning two would do. So which is it? Would I need three of them? I find it very confusing.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,917
    Given: 1,013
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    If set on purchasing new LED panels, see https://californialightworks.com for their innovative gear.

With super CS and made in America.

Dr.Chas-THC
    Advanced Nutrients, CLW SolarStorm 880,
    EZ Clone 16,
    Gorilla Grow Tent 5’ x 5’ x 6’11” ~ 7’11”,
    Gorilla Gear Board ~ Hurricane Super 8 Fan,
    HyperFan 8”~HyperFan Hyper Climate Control,
    Magical Butter II, 1000w MH, 400w MH,
    Method Seven Operator LED,
    MountainAir Big Air Volatile Organic
    Activated Carbon Filter 8”x40”!!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 426
    Given: 79
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by arch7699 View Post
    Thanks but I'm thinking more like Mars Hydro or comparable units but I don't know what to buy at what wattage. I was thinking 2 Mars Hydro 300's but is that really enough? The specs in ads and listings for that unit says coverage of 1.5 x 2 feet or 2 feet by 2 feet. At that rate, I would need 3 of those. But at the rate of 50-60 watts of LED per square foot, I would only need between 600 to 700 watts, meaning two would do. So which is it? Would I need three of them? I find it very confusing.
    Using power density as a metric means that you need to know the Actual power consumption-not some unicorn fart nonsensical marketing number. If you're set on using economy fixtures, 50 watts of actual power use for each square foot of area will get adequate intensity. Remember-you need to know how much it pulls from your wall outlet, not what is written on the box the fixture came in.
    Most of the Mars 300's I've seen use approx 125-150 watts, so you would need 4 of them to cover 12.5 sq ft.
    Last edited by gbauto; 12-18-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,572
    Given: 2,726
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    LOLOL "...unicorn fart" PMSL!

Slow Old Guy

0 Not allowed!
    Arch,
    "I want a bang up room with rocking yields"
    u have to get the temps right for this to happen,
    if u r running 200-300 watts and barely maintaining temps there is no way to fill your space with any light,
    give us some pics of your grow space and some details of fans and inlets,
    the more info and pics u give the better, this might be a simple fix.!!

as far as light goes, gbauto is right, Mars has big labels on small lights,
    at 66" x 23" your space is 10.5 sf, u need 50-60 wpsf of Mars LED, 500-650 actual watts used (not label watts)
    at 125-150w per fixture, u would need 2 or 3 Mars 300's for veg and 4 or 5 for flower.

look into the HLG Quantum Boards, more light for less money, and u need less of them.!!
    3 of the HLG 135w V2 QB's would rock your box.!!!! (about $600 if u diy), about the same cost as a 600w HID system with 5 yrs of bulbs,
    https://growerslights.com/collection...lighting-group
    the diy kits r very simple to assemble, but GL will put em together and test em for u.!
    WIN_20181029_14_59_11_Pro.jpg
    i switched from 400w HID to 135w QB and i m loving them.!

as far as growing taller plants...
    most lights, HID and LED, can only penetrate 18-24" of canopy,
    if your plant is 4' tall u will want to trim (lollipop) the bottom 2' so the canopy is only 24" tall.
    Last edited by Slow Old Guy; 12-22-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Slow Old Guy

0 Not allowed!
    forgot to mention that your 400w HID is a better light source then the Mars 300,
    watt for watt it will outperform 3 or 4 Mars and heat is the same,
    in the world of grow lights u have....
    cfl, low watt LED (lows light bulbs and Amazon chinese blurples), T12/T8 floro,.... good for a hobby grow, get what u get grow,
    Mars/King LED (good blurples), T5 HO floro, low watt HID (250w or less),.... good for getting enough to smoke,
    HID (400-100w),.... good for great quality and quantity,
    double ended 1000w HID, CMH, QB, COB,.... the best quality and quantity.!

according to Mars Hydro, their 300 fixture draws 115w, 23'' x 66" needs 5 or 6 of them to get good to great coverage,
    $400 for enough light and this would still be inferior to HID, QB, or COB because of the blurple's shitty light spectrum (great for veg, okay for flower).

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 7
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps Kind LED, I love my K5 xl750 with Remote
    https://www.kindledgrowlights.com/pages/k5-setup
    Or their little brother the new K3
    https://www.kindledgrowlights.com/co...ed-grow-lights

spend the $ and do not get Mars, BUY one of these Blackdog, california solarstorm or kind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast