Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OregonGranny

Temp dipping to 39-35 overnight, bring inside or cover?

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have 2 plants that are in bloom, one is only about 2 weeks full bloom while the second is in week 9 with no signs of stigmas turning orange. The first one can be moved indoors if the temp demands it. But the other one, the longer blooming one, is rooted in place through the drains. Temps will be low to mid 70’s days and 39-35 nightly the next week. Am I going to be better off harvesting the one now and moving the other inside or try to cover and keep warm? Unknown strains on both, came from sack seed.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,185
    Given: 7,378
    Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...@Runamok2 would be the guy with the best answer but my thought would be to bring the one in and to harvest the other, i believe 35 to 39 is cold enough to kill your plant or at least stall or stunt it.

...from what you say i'm assuming the roots of the one have grown through the pot and into the ground and depending how vigorously the roots have grown into the ground it may be possible to cut these roots and bring this one in too if it still needs weeks to finish but this could also stall or kill your plants.

.. @Runamuk2 will see my tag soon and so he will stop in and help and he is an outdoor expert, indoors is my bailywick so my guesses are only that, guesses.

...good luck.

peace, SOG

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 889
    Given: 1,518
    Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @OregonGranny
    I would just leave them out for now. 35° is cold but its not freezing. As you said cover them if possible or needed to abate any potential frost. Just my thought. I moved a peppwe plant that was rooted through its pot in to the ground and sent it in to shock. I am sure your plant would experience the same.
    9 weeks and no curl back on your pistils? Sounds like a strong sativa dominant strain. It may only need another couple weeks to finish and spending time bouncing back out of shock would slow the maturity which isn't wise as winter seems to be closing in up there.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 113
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    32 f. here but the ground is still pretty warm. Pepper plants are still ok, they are the most sensitive plant left in my garden.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 1
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    It takes a hard freeze to kill most pot plants.

Sounds like your plants have a pretty good bit to go, and it's only going to get colder.

You may want to think about insulating the pots and ground they are sitting on with something like straw, and rigging up some sort of tent.

Too much cold for to long will slow the plants down.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 175
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Good morning,
    I agree with the group in what they are saying to do

One thing you really can't do since the roots have gone into the drain is move the plant. If you started with a clone it would be movable (no tap root). Since you started with seeds like I do it makes the plant pretty much staying there. Break that tap root and plant is pretty much done for.

You gotta be very close to me as that is exactly the same weather report I have. I'm also having the same issue with 1/2 of my plants are further along. It's the new LED street lights installed a couple years ago. The light goes forever. At least that's what's causing my delay.

So I go along with the rest of the members and would cover them. Using a hoop house would be the easiest. If it wasn't warming to 70ish we would be screwed. So I think we are going to fine. Sure bring out any purple colors with the temps we are forcast for.

Hope all goes well.

Keep them green
    Muk

OregonGranny

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the information everyone. Went ahead and plucked the rooted girl and the last clone we had. Both seemed to finish ripening after the first cold night. The late bloomer is definitely sativa and still putting on bud. Heavy mulch applied to the sides and under the pot to help keep her feet warmer. So far we’ve harvested one Venom OG clone that gave us 56 grams after 2 week cure, one J1 clone that produced 52 grams @ 2 weeks cure, one bag seed I call Louisiana Girl that produced 58 grams @ 2 weeks cure, and one Sour OG clone that gave us 78 grams @ 2 weeks cure. Not too shabby for our first grow. I did notice a problem beginning to develop towards the end and as I harvested a couple of them. There’s what appears to be a rusty mold/mildew like substance on a couple of plants limited to one branch on each plant. I’ll make another post with pictures tomorrow evening.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,545
    Given: 594
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Frosty Budz and @Runamuk2 take away is mulch for warmth at night and the biggest to prevent/head off ripening problems is if artificial light like street lights are nearby try blackout material to make definite go to bloom and finish times of darkness to match when you want the harvest. Something like that Next year the perfect no problem harvest
    You stick a bunch of females together and don't want any problems? Good luck. They are going to mess you up.

OregonGranny

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tropical View Post
    @Frosty Budz and @Runamuk2 take away is mulch for warmth at night and the biggest to prevent/head off ripening problems is if artificial light like street lights are nearby try blackout material to make definite go to bloom and finish times of darkness to match when you want the harvest. Something like that Next year the perfect no problem harvest
    No problem with lighting, we live on the side of a mountain in Oregon halfway between the coast and Eugene. �� Dark sky country. I germinated the seed as soon as we arrived in Oregon, April 1st. Going to start my seed in January this go round.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 175
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    You live not too far from me. I generally shoot for middle of May to get my plants in the ground. But on a good year you might be able to get them in the ground earlier but all you're going to do is cause yourself more more work by starting in January unless When it's a perfect year and you can get them in earlier but they're still going to finish the same time because of the photoperiod of sunlight.

so what I do is I use that time between January and may to prepare my soil to get a perfect medium to grow in.

Once you have that perfect medium to grow in then you simply plant your plants anytime you want to after the ground warms up to 55 degrees and you'll still end up with large plants. Then rather than harvesting grams of pot you'll have pounds of pot off each plant.

Muk

PS welcome to Oregon and wonderful world of growing in an area where anything can happen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast