Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Thread: Topping?

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 20
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Topping?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello. Thinking about whether or not I should top my female here, Lady Luck. She had been showing white hairs since mid July and since up putting her and moving to full sun, she has exploded with growth. She is now 3ft tall from soil level, almost as wide now. No "buds" yet.
    Grown outdoors, no nutrients added in a couple weeks. Lots of water she wants.

Thoughts on topping at this point in the game? I've read to expect a lot more growth when she starts producing the buds so she will be a monster then.

Thoughts / advice? Thanks in advance,

@Patient puffer
    @someoldguy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,192
    Given: 7,384
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...i personally would not top at this point but i am no outdoor expert.

...what i would do is to use stakes to spread the plant out and then i would defoliate her, most especially the leaves in the interior and down low.

...anyway, here are a couple of threads on targeted pruning to maximize yields that should help to answer your questions.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=284104

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=174163

...enjoy, lol.

peace, SOG

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...oh yeah, i forgot to mention this the other day but i discuss cloning in some detail in my 'random' thread linked in my signature starting at post number 6.

...you'll see too that the cuts i used for example were mailed to me by a fellow member and when they arrived in my hands they were nearly frozen so getting them to root was a good demonstration of how easy and reliable 'my' elegantly simple, passive wick style of cloning really is. (and i include a link to the original thread where i learned the technique in that discussion)

peace, SOG

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I read quite a bit of that, most refers to indoor growing though. I think what I'll take from that is to selectively defoliate when/if necessary. Scared to think how big shes going to be!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    20180808_154253.jpg

...sorry hon, i ate some fresh picked mushies tonight and i'm kinda distracted, so i'll have to get back to ya with my own thoughts on this, in the meantime...

...peace

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 951
    Given: 1,554
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Shastras
    If you do top it, just clip the very top growing shoot. All this ia going to do is direct its energy to the lateral branches. Theres no reason not to top it. Its early August
    You should be seeing a greater collection of pistils within the growing shoots themselves. Are you not seeing this? I see you are still giving copious amounts of water. Good for a psuedo-quasi flush. To rid the soil of the Miracle-Gro. That stuff may still have your soil to nitrogen rich. I see your leaves are a spectacular green and the tips of your branches are vibrant flourescent green, telling me you have no shortage of nitrogen. If you are going to top it do it soon. I found that topping your plant pushes flowering back a tad if you do it right before the flowering phase. Probably due to the bit of shock associated with the topping. I haven't seen it tons. Just specifically this year. My sativa clones started later than last year. Perhaps a clone thing, or due to hacking and slashing the clones down to size...repeatedly...a few times...tons of tops thrown away.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Tons of side shoots, all showing hair. I've been watering the hell out of her (shes also needed it because of the heat wave) but also in part to flush the nitrogen out. Clearly there's more than I anticipated in there...