Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 589
    Given: 983
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Neem oil soil drench

0 Not allowed!
    I am starting this thread in hopes to gain any insight anyone has to using the neem oil as a soil drench. I have read its systemic and can be used so the plant uptakes it in to the roots and disperses it out among its leaves.

I have had a thrip EXPLOSION this year and it was huge. Could regularly count over 15 on a random leaf. The neem oil FOLIAR APPLICATION has ceased any signs of them except 1 if you comb througj every inch. So it has been a great success. It also works well for caterpillars. They are there still. I cant find them. But i see an occasional chewed leaf and they only NIBBLE. No more ruined leaves due to their appetite. Amazing stuff.

Now my plants are entering in to flower. They are producing pistils now. I do not desire to have my harvest reek of neem and taste like malarky. So i am considering backing off the neem. I have almost completed the 2 week cycle recommended for using neem. 2-4 days. But as i halt the foliar application i want to keep the benefits. It is rumored this stuff works in the soil as well.

So has anyone used this as a soil drench? If so, at what ratio was it mixed? Did it adversely affect the plants? I have read that there is a cut off date for soil drenching and its ~5 weeks to have the plant use up whats inside of itself. Does anybody concur with this info or have strong objections to the use of neem as a soil drench due to its potential affects on flavor and taste?1532535727242171898101.jpg

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Neem makes the buds taste "neemy" if you drench with it. FWIW, I spray Rosemary in the soil to control fungus gnats and you can taste it in the buds, so my guess is most if not all oils are systemic when applied to the soil. I have a friend that uses neem meal in the soil to control insects.

As for controlling the thrips, I've found a product called Monterey Garden Insect Spray works great for controlling Thrips and leaf miners. The active ingredient is Spinosad. It's a foliar spray product.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Jimi
    Thank you for the response. That is what i have found as well as i have searched multiple sites. I have smoked some neem bud last year. And the taste is very distinct. Not pleasurable. I also read about the Neem Seed Meal. I am going that route next year as i prefer an organic approach. Its NPK value is also nice for the veg.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 100
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have read neem oil is not UV stable. It is destroyed by UV light. I don't know how long it persists.
    Neem is systemic only when taken up by the roots. Systemic neem is only weakly present in the leaf tissue.

Only the non feeding pupal stage thrips are in the surface layer of the soil. The feeding stages of the thrip, the larvae and adults, are on the shoots, leaves and buds. The eggs are also laid on the shoots, leaves and buds.

I have used neem as a light surface spray for fungus gnats, and found it effective.
    I have not and would not drench the soil with a neem emulsion that would be taken up by the roots. I think it would be a more effective and more acute treatment as a foliar spray and soil surface spray.

I am autistic and I have anxiety and depression, melanoma and peptic ulcer. LUCKY ME
    Ending prohibition is taking too long. People need to be allowed to make medicine from all the herbs so they can live.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Echium Pininana
    I feel the same way. I am apprehensive about using an oil emulsion to drench my roots with. That just seems counter intuitive to help the roots uptake moisture by coating them in oil. Hmm...maybe not today. i think next year i am just going to put Need Seed Meal in the soil. I will use the oil as a foliar application until about 3rd week in to flowering and just let what happens, happen. Live and learn. Growing is always an enriching experience.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 100
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patient puffer View Post
    @Echium Pininana
    I feel the same way. I am apprehensive about using an oil emulsion to drench my roots with. That just seems counter intuitive to help the roots uptake moisture by coating them in oil. Hmm...maybe not today. i think next year i am just going to put Need Seed Meal in the soil. I will use the oil as a foliar application until about 3rd week in to flowering and just let what happens, happen. Live and learn. Growing is always an enriching experience.
    I've seen some stuff called "Gnat Nix" it's neem impregnated lava rock or fuller's earth (proper cat litter) or something. It is expensive so I am thinking about making something like this myself to mix into the top soil layer and to top dress with. It could be worth a try. I'll probably buy a small bag of Gnat Nix soon (soon as I actually remember to pop into the growshop when I'm in town) just to make sure that I know what substrate they used, and to see if it works on my houseplants that always get gnatty in the summer.

I am autistic and I have anxiety and depression, melanoma and peptic ulcer. LUCKY ME
    Ending prohibition is taking too long. People need to be allowed to make medicine from all the herbs so they can live.

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know if neem oil would help as drench. Thrips are the one thing I haven't had yet, so I'm not sure if it effects them, or not, and from seeing others fight them, Spinosad seems to be the way to go/

I've used neem oil foliars to beat spider mites. I tried drenching, thinking it would work systemically, but no go. I later read that while neem oil is taken up by the plants (pot is an accumulator, and takes up pretty much anything), mites don't bite into the leaves deeply enough to be effected.

I never did notice neem to make a flavor difference, but I do think oils clog up the stomata, so I'd only use it as last resort, unless I was entering a plant in the state fair... it sure does make 'em shiny!

I use neem cake, or meal, in my soil mixes, and have never noticed any taste difference in batches I've forgotten to put it in, lol!