Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well water remediation

0 Not allowed!
    I hope this is where I should post this - I just signed up.

I have a problem with my well water and need to do something to fix it. I was having nutrient lockout problems, requiring me to flush my 5 gallon pots every few weeks. I just got my well water tested and found that I have a few issues - it looks like Sodium and Carbonates are high. My TDS is 370-380 so that is high too. What I want to do is add a passive filter (not RO because of the waste). I found articles about carbon filters and also deionizers. Do you think either would resolve my issues? I use 3-5 gallons of water a day so the volume is small.

Here's my water analysis
    TCI_WELL_WATER_ANALYSIS.jpg

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    My solution to my high 700ppm Well Water is to Collect Rain water which i get at 20-30ppm and level out and mix the both until i get 300-400ppm and then use that to start mixing my Nutes. PH 5.8-6 as recommended by Fertilizer Product. So far things have worked out great.

Flush with correct PH and you should clear issues.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,124
    Given: 1,323
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Hey @TINLOES Sodium can be removed with the hydrogen form cation exchanger portion of a deionizer. Reverse osmosis will reduce sodium by 94 - 98%. Distillation will also remove sodium. But for Sulfar it is harder to remove. Wells that have been drilled into bedrock containing shale, sandstone, coal deposits, or close to oilfields are more likely to house just the right conditions for anaerobic bacteria to produce hydrogen sulfide. Bacteria are eliminated by both chlorine and potassium permanganate, but these chemicals can be dangerous in high concentrations. Special care must be exercised when handling and storing potassium permanganate and other potentially hazardous chemicals in order to prevent harm. Most owners remove these with a water softener and through the anode (Magnesium Rod) in their water heater. As redpurpleflower said might have to find another source or be prepared to waste water in a Reverse Osmosis set-up.

Hope this helps
    Happy Farming...

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I just bought a deionizer and am hoping that will fix the major issue - sodium bicarbonate. A local water expert told me it is a common problem in my area because long ago this area was an inland sea. Thanks for the input.