Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 29
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does one need to trim off the small leaves?

0 Not allowed!
    It occurs to me, as I get ready to harvest another plant, it makes little sense to trim off the small leaves that surround the bud.

These are the very leaves I snip and look at under microscope to check the trichome production. They're loaded with juicy trichomes. So why do I see everyone snipping them off down to the bud? Does it have something to do with smoking as opposed to using the flower in some other way?

Most all my harvest goes into making vape concentrate, nowadays. I see only more glorious concentrate for me by leaving these leaves on.

Comments.
    Last edited by Maryjane; 06-07-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 719
    Given: 1,218
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Maryjane
    If indeed you are making concentrates, anything with trichomes are of use to you. I save all of my "sugar trim" and use it to make infused coconut oil. The thing is that if that "leafy" material is left on, it can compromise the cure and finished smoothness of the smoke. As leafy material tends to be shaky and harsh. Thats why it is usually trimmed off the buds. Plus i think that presentation is a lot when it comes to purchasing the herb. Just my thoughts

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 29
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks @Patient puffer.

As to curing, I'm getting away from doing that to any long term degree as well. Once the flower reaches and remains at 60% relative humidity, inside my air tight containers, I'm good to go.

I will start taking that flower to press for concentrate.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 69
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Agreed-if I only used my meds for making edibles/concentrates, I wouldn't trim aside from stripping buds from branches. In fact, sometimes I fresh freeze flower and sotre it like that until I make my CCO. But for flower I plan on smoking I definitely hand trim all of the sugar leaves. I use that trim to make edibles.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,343
    Given: 875
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Manicured Buds taste much better with those small leaves trimmed off...

You can process them after, in a magical butter machine or other . . .

Dr.Chas-THC

Quote Originally Posted by Maryjane View Post
    It occurs to me, as I get ready to harvest another plant, it makes little sense to trim off the small leaves that surround the bud.

These are the very leaves I snip and look at under microscope to check the trichome production. They're loaded with juicy trichomes. So why do I see everyone snipping them off down to the bud? Does it have something to do with smoking as opposed to using the flower in some other way?

Most all my harvest goes into making vape concentrate, nowadays. I see only more glorious concentrate for me by leaving these leaves on.

Comments.
    Advanced Nutrients, CLW SolarStorm 880,
    Method Seven Operator LED,
    Magical Butter II, 1000w MH, 400w MH,
    EZ Clone 16,
    Gorilla Grow Tent 5’ x 5’ x 6’11” ~ 7’11”,
    HyperFan 8” HyperFan Hyper Climate Control