Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 11
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keeping rain off plants

0 Not allowed!
    Way too much rain...I want/need to build a small structure of PVC and plastic to keep the rain off my plants. I live on the big island of Hawaii and in an area that gets ALLOT of rain and temperatures range from low 60s to high 70s and normally very humid. I had a successful grow outdoors last year but the mold was a pain in the ass to keep up with. If the trade winds blow normally I should get nice ventilation. This is only a temporary structure as I'm selling my house soon.
    So my question is, can I use the roll of clear plastic that Home Depot sells? That seems pretty thick and I got lots of duct tape. Just want to make sure the girls are getting all the sunlight possible.
    Thanks for these forums, you guys rock'
    Mahalo..

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe I wasn't clear when I said rains ALLOT. Maybe this will help.
    IMG_0011.PNG

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 492
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @lavaman
    Sorry no one has replied. My concern with erecting a structure such as you describing leads me to be concerned with a few aspect of such a structure.

A) First i would be concerned with anchoring the frame work. If for some reason the "tradwinds" were to blow rather strong, you may find the winds lifting your structure (due to canopy acting as a sail) and trying to blow the frame work THROUGH your plants. Effectively doing more damage than good. If you build a frame, anchor it well.

B) Will this structure and its plastic sheets increase the humidity around your plants? If so it will make a bad situation worse.

C) What about height of structure. Will you make it tall enough to accomodate your flowering ladies? Will it be adjustable?

D) Will the PVC be strong enough to withstand those winds? Should it be reinforced or made entirely of a wood frame?

These are a few of the things i would consider when building this structure

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,475
    Given: 571
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lavaman View Post
    Way too much rain...I want/need to build a small structure of PVC and plastic to keep the rain off my plants. I live on the big island of Hawaii and in an area that gets ALLOT of rain and temperatures range from low 60s to high 70s and normally very humid. I had a successful grow outdoors last year but the mold was a pain in the ass to keep up with. If the trade winds blow normally I should get nice ventilation. This is only a temporary structure as I'm selling my house soon.
    So my question is, can I use the roll of clear plastic that Home Depot sells? That seems pretty thick and I got lots of duct tape. Just want to make sure the girls are getting all the sunlight possible.
    Thanks for these forums, you guys rock'
    Mahalo..
    For a temp solution the drop cloth style of plastics could work. They degrade in the sun so the plastic falls apart so I guess be ready to replace. Maybe a year is what I think you could get lucky to get out of that light plastic. Consider having a wind block to keep the night dew off the plants. Daylight hours the UV generally dry's wet plants with the sun also stopping molds. Might be able to just use one of those overhead cover frames you could anchor. I'd at least cover the windward sidewalls to stop the dew and wind blown rain. Not sure if you get the mountain showers but here they normally show up in the middle of the night when everyone's asleep. Then the dew is heavy on everything with a rare morning of everything is dry. That night time stuff that comes with the breeze undoubtedly chills the plants getting moisture deep inside buds since moist air around cool objects makes the dew on anything cool.
    You stick a bunch of females together and don't want any problems? Good luck. They are going to mess you up.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 492
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @lavaman
    I was just watching the news here in California, and it said your island just received 27" of rain in 24 hours. Breaking records from over a century. I understand the NEED for a cover.

E) Be sure the water wont puddle in the middle of plastic sheet. The overall weight of the water will undermine the effectiveness of the structure.

27"? Does that just happen where you live? That is saturated. Perhaps consider more "sativa" genetics. The node spacing is far larger than indicas. This spacing would allow better air flow through the plant. Hopefully alleviating concerns and appearance of mold and mildew

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I have a good idea, mixing some 2 X 2s in for added support. I'll post some pictures if the rain ever stops.
    Mahalo

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    You are 100% correct sir.. The dew is nuts. As soon as the sun starts to fade lawn chairs and shit outside start to get damp. I'm hoping if I can at least keep most of the rain off them, mother nature and the plants the genetics will do what they have been programmed to do and I'll be able to keep mold damage to a minimum. I will post some pictures when the rain stops.
    Thanks

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,475
    Given: 571
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @lavaman hope you aren't Leilani area.
    You stick a bunch of females together and don't want any problems? Good luck. They are going to mess you up.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    No. I am 25 miles away from the flowing lava but lots of earth shikin going on up here.