Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 951
    Given: 1,554
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Is tap water killing my super soil and compost tea?

0 Not allowed!
    Yes. Pretty simple answer. Municipal water from your tap mowadays more than likely contains chloramine. Here is a link to find out.

https://www.dudegrows.com/watercheck/

If your city district is using chlorine it is only a matter of time before they switch over. Chlorine is a disinfectant used to treat tap water to kill bacteria and pathogens. Chlorine is easily dealt with by allowing your water to set out over night. If your city is using chloramines you may have a problem. Here is a link speaking of methods dealing with it.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/...p-water.46610/

Personally i use an aquarium treatment that makes tap water safe for fish by breaking down chloramines in to benign by products.
    If you do not treat your tap water it is next to impossible to brew a proper compost tea and IF you planned on running a super soil with an active rhizospere...the life may be lacking.
    Last year i made a super soil and cooked it properly. Yet i had no choice but to use tap water. There's no reasonable way i can treat enough water on the scale i was growing last year. So the tap water didnt seem to have any ill affects on the plant and there was enough nutrients throughout the grow season that i didnt need to top dress or apply anything. I had 2 shade leaves that yellowed during the flowering stretch but nothing else. And it flowered superbly with the smoothest smoke ever.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 5
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Although I didn't read those links...I will, this outdoor season I am gonna buy 2 Filters. last year I was filter less and brewing 13gl of Tea but fractionalized inoculated due to using tap. Boggie told me there filters work for my city water.....however I use "Compost Tea in a Box" kits instead
    I am really excited to brew tea again this summer

https://www.boogiebrew.net/brew-kit/

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 5
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    If you call Boogie they will sell you the Filter only

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Need to know what readings your current tap water has then you can begin to treat it correctly.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Foggy Dell
    Checking that link i posted, it shows our town using chloramine. Yet fuether research has stated that the CHLORAMINE treatment is strong at the TREATMENT FACILITY. Yet by the time our tap water reaches our faucets, the amount of chloramine in our water is negligible. Only compromising our soils by a little bit. Yet how can we believe that?

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Puffer
    Correct, that's what they say. I'll end up either buying that pricey tap filter or a couple of large storage containers for water prep. Actually thinking about brewing compost tea this year for foliage feeding

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Foggy Dell
    Our buddy Jorge has a video rattling on the web somewhere speaking of the benefits of foliar feeding your pkants compost tea. Its spectacular stuff!!!

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 4
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patient puffer View Post
    Yes. Pretty simple answer. Municipal water from your tap mowadays more than likely contains chloramine. Here is a link to find out.

https://www.dudegrows.com/watercheck/

If your city district is using chlorine it is only a matter of time before they switch over. Chlorine is a disinfectant used to treat tap water to kill bacteria and pathogens. Chlorine is easily dealt with by allowing your water to set out over night. If your city is using chloramines you may have a problem. Here is a link speaking of methods dealing with it.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/...p-water.46610/

Personally i use an aquarium treatment that makes tap water safe for fish by breaking down chloramines in to benign by products.
    If you do not treat your tap water it is next to impossible to brew a proper compost tea and IF you planned on running a super soil with an active rhizospere...the life may be lacking.
    Last year i made a super soil and cooked it properly. Yet i had no choice but to use tap water. There's no reasonable way i can treat enough water on the scale i was growing last year. So the tap water didnt seem to have any ill affects on the plant and there was enough nutrients throughout the grow season that i didnt need to top dress or apply anything. I had 2 shade leaves that yellowed during the flowering stretch but nothing else. And it flowered superbly with the smoothest smoke ever.
    I'm confused. You listed how bad the chloramines are but said your planta did fine with untreated tap water? Or are you saying if your soil is healthy enough and balanced, they can break down the chemicals for a season?

I didn't read any other posts after this yet. So maybe you answered my question already. If that's the case, sorry.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 225
    Given: 178
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    There are thousands of people who pick up the hose and water and dont seem to kill anything.

Easiest way to get water tested is Culligan or any place who sells and installs filter systems. Even hot tub places will check for free.

If there is room take and fill a barrel that is elevated. and run some air in it for 24 hours. The tap water might not have enough Ox

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Hugs and Spit
    In post #5 (numbers are on the top right of the post) i had executed further research in to this matter. What i had read was that the chloramine treatment is strong at the water treatment plant. Yet by the time it reaches our spigot the amount in the water should be negligible. Thats what i read. Not what i know to be a fact. Until its tested i guess one could never really know. If i used untreated tap water to brew the compost tea, it would not get the bubbles on top with that earthy soil smell to the water. Except i ran my super soil all year on tap water and the plants showed no ill effects from the tap water. So if your town is using chloramines it IS okay to water your plants with it. I believe that the soil will be active enough to get the plants what they need. If i was going to brew a compost tea and i wanted to ensure its bio-activity i would use treated water. Also use treated water or compost tea when kicking off your super soil "cooking". Personal opinion, dont treat it as the gospel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast