Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 295
    Given: 90
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

H2O2/Hydrogen Peroxide Wash, getting rid of powdery mildew - video by Jorge Cervantes

0 Not allowed!
    WASHING AWAY POWDERY MILDEW - An instructional video by Jorge Cervantes

NOTE: Admin will move the video from Youtube to the forum for easy access. In the meantime, it has been age-restricted and requires a sign-in to watch it - well worth the effort, lemmetellya.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7jE7qzfgQs

Recently, my BF and I gratefully watched a video Jorge made about getting rid of the farmer's bane, powdery mildew (PM).

We sent him this PM:

As a left-over from the summer heat wave here in Cali, a smattering of powdery mildew spread over our Blue Dream OG's that were coming into harvest. Buds untouched, but it was close.

We saw your video just in time and have decided to make the peroxide dip and rinse a standard. Our home smells so fresh and clean, awash with the scent of fresh grapefruit after a spring rain.

We've had many a harvest, but none that smell like this - the fresh and clean part.
    Jorge replied:

The reason that H2O2 works so well is that it kills all the diseases and life on the surface of the plants. With little or no life left on the foliage, decomposition slows and terpenes appear to be preserved. I have not looked into the matter on the molecular level to give a complete scientific explanation. maybe one of the members has more time than I do.
    Got that? Anybody?
    I have not looked into the matter on the molecular level to give a complete scientific explanation. maybe one of the members has more time than I do

Powdery mildew can ruin a crop in short order, and can infect your buds destroying their content and making them dangerous to smoke.

This is what it looks like:

tomato_powdery_mildew.jpg
    On a tomato leaf

images.jpg
    On a lilac leaf

marijuana-powdery-mildew-1.jpg
    On a marijuana leaf

Powdery mildew can be indemic to the plant and can develop as a result of exposure to too high or too low humidity levels coupled with a lack of good air circulation.

It looks like baby powder to the naked eye (hence the name) and under a loupe looks like a matting of extremely small fibers. You can rub it off with your fingers but that doesn't solve the problem. If you touch it with anything - fingers or scissors or a cloth - do NOT touch another plant or anything but the soap and water in your sink.

Sidebar: No, CO2 does not get rid of powdery mildew because of the high heat and humidity levels incurred during CO2 application, and can actually worsen the existing condition. Been there, done that. Yish!

There are a few remedies but the best remedy is to avoid the infection to begin with, and that means sitting up all night moving the fan around the plants if necessary, doing whatever you can to maintain the humidity levels around 40%-50%, spraying with Neem oil every day, washing the leaves with tap water, and the best, KNOW YOUR SOURCE. A good farmer will never sell clones that come from an infected mother plant.

G-Ma weed.jpg
    Last edited by outtasight; 10-25-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 77
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    People debate this technique all the time... I think it's essential to the harvest process and have been doing it since I first watched the video you tried to post... It's better to kill everything off before you smoke it and not take any chances IMO... Thanks for the post outtasight :-)
    The only way to learn properly is to see it done or be told how to do it...
    My Hydro Grow
    Disclaimer: I personally only grow scientifically engineered Tomato's and other experimental Vegetables that look like cannabis. ;-)

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 124
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsSaturday View Post
    People debate this technique all the time... I think it's essential to the harvest process and have been doing it since I first watched the video you tried to post... It's better to kill everything off before you smoke it and not take any chances IMO... Thanks for the post outtasight :-)
    Yeah outtasight, this is one of those topics where from what I've seen it really depends on who you talk to... I've heard everyday home recipes that include a type of lactic acid milk solution to the CO2 Baking soda solution of which both could be applied to the plants to interrupt the 3-5 day life cycle of the mildew. As for the H2O2 solution, for me personally I don't think it's a good idea to spray down the buds you're going to smoke with something that can corrode skin. I mean, even if you do wash it all off it just doesn't seem like it would be good for the bud. I've also heard rumors of people reporting that their bud got rotten from the use of an H2O2 technique which is something I wouldn't want to risk before trying the milk/CO2 solutions first. Overall H2O2 seems like it should only be reserved as a last resort for the problem and that's if you think it should even be used at all because at that point it seems like your nuking your plants.

That's just my two cents.

Regardless of how you choose to approach the issue, I think you've already stated the best way to deal with this issue which is to prevent it from ever happening in the first place.
    CANNABIS IS LEGAL!!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2074168.html

Gone, but never forgotten...
    "Peace and good vibs to all!!"
    - snapper
    "I'M A Recreational User!!"
    - Dr Dank
    "Recognize homies, this is OUR HOME"
    - kmanndahouse03

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    MaJick, honey - 3% hydrogen peroxide is an antiseptic. Used by the gallon in hospitals, it's mixed with toothpaste as a whitener and used by bazillions of mothers to wash off skinned knees. It has more uses than baking soda, if that's possible.

So no worries, sweetie. It's not whatever acid you are thinking of. Gah, there are so many chemicals used in growing plants, and like H2O2 - completely natural and harmless - that it's no wonder people get confused. What you may be thinking of is the concentration used in rocket fuel. If I'm not mistaken, peroxide is also a natural enzyme, though I'm afraid Biology classes were a long time ago.

It was a marvelous experience. I've never, ever smelled anything so clean and fresh. The BF tried some already. He says it tastes great and works beautifully. No, there's no peroxide left over, it's okay.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by outtasight View Post
    MaJick, honey - 3% hydrogen peroxide is an antiseptic. Used by the gallon in hospitals, it's mixed with toothpaste as a whitener and used by bazillions of mothers to wash off skinned knees. It has more uses than baking soda, if that's possible.

So no worries, sweetie. It's not whatever acid you are thinking of. Gah, there are so many chemicals used in growing plants, and like H2O2 - completely natural and harmless - that it's no wonder people get confused. What you may be thinking of is the concentration used in rocket fuel. If I'm not mistaken, peroxide is also a natural enzyme, though I'm afraid Biology classes were a long time ago.

It was a marvelous experience. I've never, ever smelled anything so clean and fresh. The BF tried some already. He says it tastes great and works beautifully. No, there's no peroxide left over, it's okay.
    Maybe... I might be worried about I different concentration of H2O2 in regards to what is applied to cannabis to eliminate the mildew, but from what I know everyday H2O2 can corrode skin. Again it seems like it's more of an opinion issue in regards to what you prefer and don't mind working with. I'm just not too comfortable with the idea of using H2O2 on buds. Does that mean that I'd never use it? No, I might do it one day depending on if I ever have a mildew problem come up and how bad is it, but personally the concept doesn't sit too well for me.
    CANNABIS IS LEGAL!!!

- snapper
    - Dr Dank
    - kmanndahouse03

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 77
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MaJick View Post
    Maybe... I might be worried about I different concentration of H2O2 in regards to what is applied to cannabis to eliminate the mildew, but from what I know everyday H2O2 can corrode skin. Again it seems like it's more of an opinion issue in regards to what you prefer and don't mind working with. I'm just not too comfortable with the idea of using H2O2 on buds. Does that mean that I'd never use it? No, I might do it one day depending on if I ever have a mildew problem come up and how bad is it, but personally the concept doesn't sit too well for me.
    It's pretty safe... I just dump a bottle of what ever the drug store has into a 5 gallon bucket and rinse away everything... I've never had any problems and I do it every time just as a precaution... IMO try it before you judge it... :-D

Edited: lol forgot to mention you should rinse it off well too... :-)
    The only way to learn properly is to see it done or be told how to do it...
    My Hydro Grow
    Disclaimer: I personally only grow scientifically engineered Tomato's and other experimental Vegetables that look like cannabis. ;-)

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsSaturday View Post

Edited: lol forgot to mention you should rinse it off well too... :-)
    Yeah, I kind of got that the second she mentioned putting H2O2 on cannabis buds...
    CANNABIS IS LEGAL!!!

- snapper
    - Dr Dank
    - kmanndahouse03

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Whenever you're ready - or not - MaJick. Absolutely, each to his own.

Personally, I wash my teeth with the hydrogen peroxide I keep under the sink, which is the 3%, especially after pizza to get rid of the smell of the extra garlic I always order.

Marijuana Growing Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,260
    Given: 514
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    You realy don't want to use the drug store 3% h2o2. It isn't regulated for food grade. So there are many unknowns in it. Food grade of 10%-35% needs deluted but is free of additives. And food grade expires after a year while the drug store last a few years. So there are things added for it to last. Not that I care I'm not organic. But a organic grower might want to find out what it is. Still won't use 3% in my setup.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't know that. The label only shows Active Ingredient: 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. Inactive Ingredient: Purified water.

The purified water is to dilute the hydrogen peroxide to 3%. 10% hydrogen peroxide can also be found in drugstores, and is also diluted with purified water. If that's what you have under your counter at home, or in the medicine closet, dilute it to 3% before using it on your harvested weed.

35% hydrogen peroxide is industrial strength. It is used in making plastics, rocket fuel, and other industrial products.

Hydrogen peroxide is actually hydrogen dioxide - 2 Hydrogen, 2 Oxygen. And like oxygen, is dangerous to humans in too concentrated a form. As a matter of fact, we wouldn't be able to handle the concentration of oxygen found in the era of the dinosaurs.

Okay guys, I had no idea there is so much to learn about this.

Here is the FDA's release on 35% hydrogen peroxide:

High-Strength Hydrogen Peroxide
    Audience: Consumers, pharmacists, and other healthcare professionals
    [Posted 07/27/2006] FDA warned consumers not to purchase or to use high-strength hydrogen peroxide products, including a product marketed as "35 Percent Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide," for medicinal purposes because they can cause serious harm or death when ingested. FDA recommends that consumers who are currently using high-strength hydrogen peroxide stop immediately and consult their health care provider.

FDA has never approved high-strength hydrogen peroxide to be taken internally and considers hydrogen peroxide at 35 percent strength dangerous, even if handled according to the manufacturer's directions. High-strength hydrogen peroxide -- more than 10 times stronger than the solution used in over-the-counter drugs to disinfect minor cuts -- is highly corrosive. Ingesting hydrogen peroxide can cause gastrointestinal irritation or ulceration. Intravenous (IV) administration of hydrogen peroxide can cause inflammation of the blood vessel at the injection site, gas embolisms (bubbles in blood vessels), and potentially life-threatening allergic reactions.

[July 27, 2006 – News Release1 – FDA]
    http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/S.../ucm150592.htm

In 2006, the FDA also performed research on the use of hydrogen peroxide in aquaculture - fish hatcheries - in which hydrogen peroxide is used as a disinfectant.

Natural occurrence and degradation - Hydrogen peroxide exists naturally in almost all surface water...
    page 7.

Hydrogen peroxide naturally degrades to water and oxygen by various mechanisms, including chemical reduction and enzymatic (catalase and peroxidase) decomposition by algae, zooplankton, and heterotrophc bacteria.
    page 8

Environmental Fate - Upon approval, H202 will be available for use at concentrations of 50 to 1,000 mg/L to treat various diseases at aquaculture facilities. The primary mechanism for reducing treatment concentrations of hydrogen peroxide in exposure water, and in turn, its inherent toxicity before discharge to receiving water, is dilution.
    page 8

See page 178 for figure 1. which shows where H2O2 flows into the egg and fresh fish reservoirs, then out into brackish water where it naturally returns to hydrogen and oxygen as separate elements.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AnimalV.../UCM072399.pdf
    Last edited by outtasight; 10-31-2012 at 04:33 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast