Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: strain info

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 111
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

strain info

0 Not allowed!
    i posted this to jorge in a pm and he as me to post in on the forum.
    in around 1983/84 in houston texas we had a strain of weed coming in from mexico that had a very strong pine/cedar smell and taste. it was around for a couple years then the skunk started up. it was on the lighter brighter green with dark heavy red hairs, and very strong buzz. some times to heavy so i'm thinking more indica, but all the indica i have grown has been on the darker side. even with the buzz being heavy it was a good times game playing buzz. i have been looking for this strain or something like it for years but have found nothing. here is a pic that looks very close. someone in the past said pine tar kush but it doesn't look the part and doesn't seem to be around anymore. i hope someone has some info. thanks in advance and peace.

blackdog

0 Not allowed!
    giggywatts,, that's funny you mentioned this. I was talking to my brother about the very thing. It seems the weed doesn't have the same taste or high....maybe its just in my head, but it tasted different back in the day. I was in Odessa TX..in 81 and they had this stuff called Red Bud that came from Mexico...it had a hashy, piney taste to it....really good stuff. It was hard compact buds...and they were darker with bright red hairs running through the flowers....I remember most of the bud back then had a slight dirt taste too

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,275
    Given: 1,265
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    That Mexican Red Bud made it's way to the Central Valley of Ca. back in the 70's too. It's tough to find anything that hasn't been crossed with something else nowadays.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,101
    Given: 1,278
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Hey @giggywatts the strains that I remember of that time period coming in from south were what we called the first mexican green. The First being Highland Oaxaca some called it Mexican Highland or Highland Gold it was somewhat similar to Colombian Gold, but sported purple and red tips on its blondish-brownish-green buds. It had larger buds surrounded by long, skinny leaves. This was pure Sativa Psychedelic type of High that last for hours and had no ceiling. The Second was called Guerrero came in famed green, seeded spears and cost $60 to $120 per ounce in the seventies. Spicy, almost wintergreen fragrance like wintergreen stick gum of the same era. Compared to the Oaxaca it was a very clear headed high and a most pleasant smoke. There was a third strain but it leaned more towards the Columbian golds that were coming out of Mexico. This Strain was Michoacan from the high valleys of Michoacan, this strain was very similar in shape and texture to the Guerrero, but dark brown, and with a more peppery, spicy, woody aroma. It was real cheap back then about $60.00 ounce it was somewhat more bland tasting and often was referred to as brick weed, It did have a more distinct, spicy flavor was not as susceptible to tolerance or burnout. Those were the days and then came Paraquat, they tried to kill us with that crap.

Happy Farming...
    Last edited by 2mins4roughing; 12-20-2014 at 11:27 PM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    giggywatts,, that's funny you mentioned this. I was talking to my brother about the very thing. It seems the weed doesn't have the same taste or high....maybe its just in my head, but it tasted different back in the day. I was in Odessa TX..in 81 and they had this stuff called Red Bud that came from Mexico...it had a hashy, piney taste to it....really good stuff. It was hard compact buds...and they were darker with bright red hairs running through the flowers....I remember most of the bud back then had a slight dirt taste too
    And this is the Reason For Land Race Preservation... I scream this from the top of my lungs. If you breed keep genetics clean and healthy just because you can dust something with pollen doesn't make you a geneticist.

Happy Farming...

blackdog

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not a breeder, but if i was to do it...wouldn't that be the way to go...with Landrace. That way you can make your own strains...not just some other version of someone else's genetics.

Where would one go to obtain Landrace seeds?

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,255
    Given: 972
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    World of seed specializes in landrace and yes they're on the Tude
    Last edited by lyfespan; 12-21-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a good choice at http://original-ssc.com/buy-landrace-seeds.html

Their Definition of Landrace
    For a more pure cannabis seed, look at our landrace strains collection. The term landrace refers to a plant species that has been developed by a natural process, adapting to the environment in which it grows. In effect, they are the opposite to a cultivated breed, and offer a wider variety between plants.

A landrace cannabis plant is a wild growing strain, from an isolated geographic location. Over time the strain develops particular traits, which help it adapt to the environment in which it is growing. It is this adaptation that gives landrace cannabis seeds their distinct qualities. The plants isolated position means it has no contact with other strains of cannabis, and no opportunity to cross-breed.

Over the years war and trade have contributed to the movement of wild growing cannabis strains to a certain extent. However, the systematic hybridization and cross-breeding of landrace strains is a relatively new occurrence, and sadly something which has largely been carried out by untrained hands, leading to a blurring of strains and properties.

Cultivating landrace seeds is a way of getting back to the original plant, and for many is seen as a more pure option, offering greater differentiation between strains, and an escape from the homogenization that repeated cross-breeding can produce.
    Last edited by 2mins4roughing; 12-21-2014 at 03:34 AM.

Marijuana Growing Founder
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,490
    Given: 3,258
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Hi @giggywatts,

Thanks for posting your question here. You really got the members going!

I remember back in school, University of the Americas, in Puebla, PUE. we would see cannabis like this all the time or at least with a similar look. It is hard to say if you can find it again or not. Maybe some of the links above will help.

There was a big smuggling business for many years from Mexico to USA of similar varieties. Then the Skunk showed up as you say! Most all of the cannabis I saw with these aspects stayed in Mexico . . . Mexicans know good buds and keep them for themselves!

Please let us know if you find your desired plants.

Please REVIEW The Cannabis Encyclopedia on amazon. Thanks! http://www.amazon.com/Cannabis-Encyc...4331120&sr=1-3

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
    “Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!” George Washington
    "The War on Drugs has no greater enemy than science" Jorge Cervantes

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,365
    Given: 291
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    people make fun of mexican weed a lot, but they fail to recognize that many of our most potent, favorite strains have mexican lines in them. ...i too smoked a lot of redbud in southern califorina in the early/mid 80's when i was just a wee lad.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast