Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 335
    Given: 90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purple petioles (leaf stems, leaf stalks)

0 Not allowed!
    I have yet to see one of our grows that did not exhibit purple petioles. Sometimes most of the stems, sometimes a scattering of stems.

NOTE: Do not confuse purple/brown petioles with purple leaves and buds which often occur during cold weather, especially in indicas that really are kushy (as opposed to allegedly kush or afghan or pak).

(Hydro grows, all indica)

Purple petioles 002.jpg Purple petioles 008.JPG
    Purple Kush (PK) in 12/12 week 1. Maybe her buds will be a nice purple, maybe not. We'll see.

Since our winter grows are always uber healthy and perky, I've not considered the purple petioles a problem. However, it's time for me to learn to fine tune nutrition and during research have found that purple petioles may be the result of inadequate pH levels or nutrients or micro-nutrients or only God knows what.

I've read that:

The condition is an indication of low magnesium or phosphorus.

It is common with Indicas, don't worry about it.

The pH is too low; raise to around 6.0.

Raise the air temp; the plants are too cold and will grow slow.

If the plants are otherwise healthy, don't worry about it.

The roots are too cold.

It's Daffy Duck's fault.

Which of the above, if any, is correct? If "none", then what is correct?

Marijuana Growing Founder
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,534
    Given: 3,307
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    outtasight,

Does the purple problem cause you harvest weight or quality problems? Have you tried many other varieties? If so does the same thing happen? Your questions are simple, and you have to narrow it down according the the varieties you are growing and the climatic conditions. There are many "varieties" of cannabis and we know very little about them. We all must do our own research and post it to help others. Grow Journals Rule!

Please REVIEW The Cannabis Encyclopedia on amazon. Thanks! https://www.amazon.com/Cannabis-Encyc...4331120&sr=1-3

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
    “Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!” George Washington
    "The War on Drugs has no greater enemy than science" Jorge Cervantes

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 335
    Given: 90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Jorge,

Ah, so there is no hard and fast rule about purp petioles. Good. Thank you.

I haven't grown many different strains. Figured it might be wise to learn a few strains really well so that I have a base comparison. Currently I only grow 4 strains of indica: Purple Kush, Blue Dream OG, LA Confidential, and occasionally some alleged MTF. Each month's grow is only one strain at a time.

As for my journals, it will take a lot more grows before I can point to more than a few things and comment with authority. And as you said, everyone's grow is different due to a variety of factors.

I can say this with confidence: there are far fewer purp petioles this year than last year. There are two big differences between this year and last year: (1) no mixing of strains in the grow box and, (2) far less leaf pruning.

Other than leaf pruning that is absolutely necessary for a small grow area (undergrowth leaves that clog air circulation, enabling mold and gnats), we prune no leaves and address branches only according to your recommendations in both your book - ... Grower's Bible, Copyright 2006, Chapter Three, page 51 - and in your YouTube video, Keep Your Leaves On! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYq7CuVpAeo.
    Last edited by outtasight; 10-12-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Marijuana Growing Founder
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,534
    Given: 3,307
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    You are already teaching people by collecting information and sharing it. Excellent! Fotos are nice too.

Please REVIEW The Cannabis Encyclopedia on amazon. Thanks! https://www.amazon.com/Cannabis-Encyc...4331120&sr=1-3

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
    “Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!” George Washington
    "The War on Drugs has no greater enemy than science" Jorge Cervantes

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone!

I am a newbie grower from philippines and i've been searching forum and websites for growing info for awhile until i've found this site.

I have the same issues in my plant "purple petioles" all over but in my case it's not the cold temp although i use AC when the lights On. It's a lil bit hot and humid in here. I'm not really sure how to fix the problem but from what i've search maybe a Magnesium deficiency? so i give my plant a Calmag additive for at least 2 weeks but it seem nothing's changed.

I'm using general hydroponics Flora series nutes.
    Coco coir /Ph 6.0 and my plant is in flowering stage.
    6 weeks since i switch it to 12/12 light cycle.
    Strain is Think Different x Pineapple chunk
    Night temp when the light is on is around 25c to 29c
    Day temp lights off 30c to 33c
    DSC_0050.jpgDSC_0026.jpg

Should i worry about purple petioles? hope you can help me guys! any suggestions and tips are highly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Greenloverph; 01-10-2018 at 05:38 PM.