Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,729
    Given: 1,882
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Watcha's Evolution.

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,
    I haven't been here for a while as I have been undergoing the same problems I related to you all during my previous grows which after a little thought has now been resolved.

The Problem

During my previous grows there was some signs of cal/mag deficiency during the latter stages of the flowering period. There would be significant plant stretch and leaves would pale and mottle with cal/mg deficiency. This would prevent the plant from maturing and finishing off and would in fact revert the plant back to an almost veg state of flowering.
    After looking at the way I grow and what I am doing, I have found that I have not been changing enough of the water in my reservoir. The reason for this being that I dont really like throwing nutes away. Anyway, after some consideration I have found that if I change the 40%+ of the water during each feed (I do this over a period of two days where I remove 5-10ltrs each time and refill with the same/extra).
    The practice seems to be that one should change all the water regularly. I will try to change a significant amount of the water once a week/fortnight in future. This will prevent the problems that I have been encountering. So after my hurdle (which has taken me on quite a nice little journey of learning) I guess I should show you guys some pics.

My Crop

The Crop 6-4-2014.jpgThe crop 2 6-4-2014.jpg

I have no idea how much there is yet.

Some things to see is the airy N Lights bud on the left of the first pic. This was due to it fighting with another plant in the same tube. I did not space them far enough apart. I think about 50cm of the tube can be dedicated to a single plant. I am growing a single plant in each tube for my next grow (Amnesia/N Lights).
    Another thing is to see the S Skunk on the right of the second pic which had the classic cal/mg problem I was having and it was suffering a lot. You can see that I have managed to make it bud like it should and it will give a nice yield.

S Skunk

S Skunk 6-4-2014.jpg

N Lights

N Lights 2 6-4-2014.jpg

This is the second N Lights that was sharing the tube.

The attached image is that of the first N Lights in the portrait of the crop pic. As you can see there is quite a difference in the way the buds have formed on these two plants.

Hope you guys like the pics. You will see some nice plants and fewer problems next time. I will post some pics of the new ladies soon.

I would like to add that I have had a pure N Lights grow just before these pics which I didnt show but I got about 12oz or abour 320gms from the crop. A lot of the bud was very smokable and strong. I still have a little and many have enjoyed the sopoforic medication with great satisfaction.
    I will see if I have any pics of that grow to show you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by watcha; 04-07-2014 at 01:25 PM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The Current Grow

0 Not allowed!
    So what am I doing now?

I am now growing an Amnesia/ Super Skunk grow. I am starting to prefer to do single plant type grows per box so this may well be the last of these multi plant type grows.

Amnesia
    Amnesia 7-4-2014_01.jpg
    Note the curly leaves. This is due to not changing the water regularly. The amnesia seems quite sensitive so care and attention will be required during this grow.

Super Skunk
    S Skunk 7-4-2014_01.jpg
    As expected, this is a resilient plant and takes a fair amount of punishment. Growing very well.

All together.
    Amnesia S Skunk 7-4-2014_01.jpg

OK, Lessons learnt from my previous grow.

I grew an Amnesia prior to this grow. It was a clone and so once rooted, I put the clone into a rockwool cube ready for transplant. Usually I wait a week for the roots to show through. As I was a little rushed, I just transplanted the plants almost straightaway.
    I was growing 2 Northern Lights, 2 Super Skunk and 1 Amnesia.

Now I know that rockwool has a high pH. After a week of veg, I started my flower cycle. (I also changed the light from HPS to a dual spectrum light.) The problem was that throughout the grow the Amnesia didnt grow at all well. It struggled the entire time and only near the end of the grow did it show promise. (one or two other factors may well have helped too).

The lesson I am trying to point out here is that Amnesia requires a good start and needs close attention to pH levels. I added a fair amount of low pH water to the rockwool for these Amnesia plants and they have responded well.

As you can see the Amnesia are doing very well with a little red on the stem and leaf stems, also note the slight curling of the leaves. This is due to the water not being changed for a week only. Note how healthy the Super Skunk is under the exact same conditions. Once I had changed about 30% of the water in my res the leaves started to grow straight again.

As another note the Northern Lights also behaved just like the Super Skunk. Very resilient to my grow method. Sorted.

Lesson END

Other changes
    I also had to change the HPS in this box as the digital ballast was not firing it up properly (the magnetic one would), so I had to replace the bulb with a dual spectrum one.
    I will be taking out some of the water at least once every other week or when I see leaf curl to ensure that the water the plants are using stays nice and fresh. During my previous grow I had some problems which encouraged me to change the water as I did not do it during the whole grow. For about a week I took about 5ltrs of water and replaced it with 10ltr of fresh water each feed. As you can see from the previous post, this saved my crop significantly although the grow ended up being longer than it should have been.

Method

Flowering cycle is on 14/10 from 18/6 and during cloning the clones were in 24/0. Flowering does not kick in until I lower it to 14/10. 18/6 doesnt seem to affect veg cycle even though it is a 6 hour drop from 24/0.

reasons for this cycle stepping is that as clones, I dont want them to stretch. Once transplanted into my NFT the 6hrs allows the plants to stretch nicely. The 14 hrs is to maximise light during flowering.

This provided me with 12oz (336gm) with my usual problem on a N Lights grow. About 0.5gm/W. It was ok I guess..
    The smoke was still awesome though, about 10-20% of the grow will have to made into some hash.

Timeline
    The clones were rooted after 7-10days and transplanted.
    The plants were then vegged for a week and topped on about day4 of veg.
    These pics were taken today which is now Wk2+1day of flower.

I will be making some changes to my screen so it can be a little easier to remove as I wish to harvest the entire plant in one go. Once done, it will be applied to this grow.
    Last edited by watcha; 04-07-2014 at 02:37 AM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,529
    Given: 3,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Plants look great, hope you have it dialed in this grow
    Buds dont look to fluffy they look like they will be a nice stash.
    ​"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

シードマスター

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks peace.

I think all my problems are sorted now and should be regularly having some good plants. Its taken a while and some wrong turns but when using a new method of growing its a fair learning curve.

Minipops drew my attention to the fact that he changed his water a LOT more often than me.

Lets see how this grow goes. The Super Skunk mother has one more grow in her then she will be replaced with a different plant.

The Northern Lights that I grew previously had the mother die on me as the pot was too small. I am growing another, but I am a little sad as that plant was a very potent plant.

I have an Amnesia mother as well. I have taken some cuttings ready for the next grow. Not too sure how many grows I will do as I have a lot of seeds that I also want to grow!

I will also update My Second journal with the stuff I have from before.
    Last edited by watcha; 04-07-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    My own little slice of heaven in the foothills,ca
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    "Note the curly leaves. This is due to not changing the water regularly. " Leaf curling is actually a copper deficiency in the nutrient mix. I learned this from researching problems my husband was having with one of his grows. As far as the calcium/mg(manganese or magnesium) unless your stems were hollow(which is the craziest thing I had ever seen when one of hubby's grows showed it, the stems were hollow all the way through like a drinking straw! He experienced both mg deficiencies as well, manganese will cause spots on all the leaves, whereas magnesium will make the lower leaves produce yellow stripes between the veins on the leaves.....I've had lots of opportunities to research and study symptoms and causes with the way the garden was being cared for. I have also learned through personal experience that with the majority of nutrients available,(at least with a soil free set up)are extremely concentrated and by starting out with a 1/4 of the recommended amount, very often provided enough for healthy growth, without issue. With some strains, I noticed fairly quickly(48-72hrs), subtle changes in growth rate along with a lack of shine/ depth of color on the leaves, by upping the mixture to 1/2 the recommended amount, produced almost instant positive results(12-24hrs). I was able to save a bundle on nutes and had plentiful, potent and healthy crops every time! Food for thought, I hope....

Marijuana Growing Member
    My own little slice of heaven in the foothills,ca
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 134
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    After my last post, I kept reading yours and was struck by the comments regarding the water. I produced 12 separate grows over a 4year span, without changing my water, other than adding more when the level got low or in situations where I mistakenly added too much, and needed to flush, and when changing from grow to bloom! Maybe this was due to the way I did the nute mix, but I don't really know. I do know that i would get really tired and frustrated if I tried to do it on a weekly basis! I'm sure it could only be a healthy and positive way to grow, but I'm also very sure that it is an expensive practice, considering the cost of the nutes needed to do that.......I can only speak from my own personal experience though so.......

blackdog

0 Not allowed!
    Watcha, glad your up and running again it looks like you have things rocking and rolling....hope it all works out.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaShana View Post
    "Note the curly leaves. This is due to not changing the water regularly. " Leaf curling is actually a copper deficiency in the nutrient mix. I learned this from researching problems my husband was having with one of his grows. As far as the calcium/mg(manganese or magnesium) unless your stems were hollow(which is the craziest thing I had ever seen when one of hubby's grows showed it, the stems were hollow all the way through like a drinking straw! He experienced both mg deficiencies as well, manganese will cause spots on all the leaves, whereas magnesium will make the lower leaves produce yellow stripes between the veins on the leaves.....I've had lots of opportunities to research and study symptoms and causes with the way the garden was being cared for. I have also learned through personal experience that with the majority of nutrients available,(at least with a soil free set up)are extremely concentrated and by starting out with a 1/4 of the recommended amount, very often provided enough for healthy growth, without issue. With some strains, I noticed fairly quickly(48-72hrs), subtle changes in growth rate along with a lack of shine/ depth of color on the leaves, by upping the mixture to 1/2 the recommended amount, produced almost instant positive results(12-24hrs). I was able to save a bundle on nutes and had plentiful, potent and healthy crops every time! Food for thought, I hope....

Thanks for the info about curly leaves.

Its cal/mg deficiency Nana, the stems were hollow too, and the symptoms are for spotted leaves. I agree Manganese definitely shows yellowing between veins. (Mg - Magnesium, Manganese - Mn)

I do think after reading your post (in the welcome section) my mistake was not changing the water after the veg cycle with the introduction of flowering nutes. I think there must be a chemical reaction or something to create such lockouts.

Regarding my water changes, Minipops changed his water every week due to growing in DWC. I have a res which I can monitor but now I know I have to just look out for grow changes such as leaf curl/boating, nute deficiencies and I should be able to stay on top of things as I know how to flush etc! (This was all a part of my learning curve as hydroponic growing is new to me)

I do agree that manufacturers recommended doses can sometimes be quite high. I use less than is recommended and get a perfectly fine grow. It also means less time flushing at harvest time.
    Last edited by watcha; 04-07-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    Watcha, glad your up and running again it looks like you have things rocking and rolling....hope it all works out.
    Many thanks blackdog.

I never stopped, I was just too into fixing my mistakes that I really didnt have time to spend here to keep you all updated. It was just a simple matter of changing some water in my res when these issues appeared, which I did not think about doing until my last grow.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by NanaShana View Post
    After my last post, I kept reading yours and was struck by the comments regarding the water. I produced 12 separate grows over a 4year span, without changing my water, other than adding more when the level got low or in situations where I mistakenly added too much, and needed to flush, and when changing from grow to bloom! Maybe this was due to the way I did the nute mix, but I don't really know. I do know that i would get really tired and frustrated if I tried to do it on a weekly basis! I'm sure it could only be a healthy and positive way to grow, but I'm also very sure that it is an expensive practice, considering the cost of the nutes needed to do that.......I can only speak from my own personal experience though so.......
    No Nana, I wont be changing so much water I dont think, only when I see changes that shouldnt be there. I may well get away without having to change any more water between now and the end of my current grow.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast