Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 222
    Given: 62
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strain Genetics or Plant Breeding..

0 Not allowed!
    plant.jpg

So back to the basics...I get way to many questions about breeding. O.K Ready using the Smith's again you know that family down the street. For the most part genes are inherited from our parents. But certain genetics in individuals are mutant or defective traits that develop on their own. ie: Albinism the absent of pigment in the skin.Unable to produce melanin to change color of skin eyes and hair. Or in the plant world no fruit, leaf structure or absence of color or change in normal color. So back to the Smith's both parents carries the gene for albinism (faulty gene) and one normal gene. Both parents can produce melanin and look normal.
    They have four kids..two will be carriers like their parents. one good gene one bad. because each child inherits one gene from Mom one from Dad. Kid one both healthy genes. Kid Two and Three each receive one of each one good one bad still can produce melanin. Kid Four both faulty genes....Say hello to Albino Boy. IN PLANTS THE SAME GENETICS APPLY. But in a bigger scheme that's why a bag of seeds can say Blue Dream but it can look like any combination of the parents and each trait varies because they all following the same rule sets of four x each trait. That's why if you get a plant that looks and smells like Santa Cruz Haze more than Blue Dream it's Strain Genetics. Only true copy is a clone.

Happy Farming

Written Originally by me for Strain Genetics on Facebook

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,448
    Given: 3,063
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    What about a self-ed plant (S1) Seems like they would be very close to clone like.
    ​"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."

シードマスター

JustThisGuy

0 Not allowed!
    Each of the 'parents' of the S1 have identical genes. However, when an organism creates gametes, only half of the genes are selected from the parent. If a trait is genomic, or true-breeding like purple color or a particular pistil, it will be passed on, barring mutation during the formation of the seed and/or germination, etc. Traits that may be recessive or show up in different phenotypes, (think albino rabbits and their eerie pink eyes) are sometimes 'double-recessive'.

This means that an offspring (our S1) has a 25% chance of expressing a characteristic that the mother had in her genetic makeup, but was not visible in her phenotype.

Let's say our mother has dark green stems. About half of the phenotypes germinated have dark green stems. One quarter of the phenos have very light green stems, but another quarter of her sisters have a trait like Purple Stems that show up in 1/4 of the seeds germinated.

The chart would look like this:

XX=Purple Stem
    Xx=Dark Green Stem
    xx=Pale Green Stem
    Our mother would have Xx for this particular gene.
    Parents X x
    X XX Xx
    x Xx xx

The outcome is that there is a one in four chance that this particular situation could produce a different expression of this particular trait.
    1 in 4 will be Purple
    1 in 4 will be light green
    2 in 4 will be dark green

Hope this helps...

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Seeds from a plant that either hermied or was pollinated by a hermie are NOT going to be all or mostly females simply because they are the progeny of hermaphroditic sexual reproduction. I speak from experience. A clone that is taken from a flowering female has no more chance of turning into a hermie than a clone taken from a vegging female. Unless the female plant isn't already genetically prone to hermie. If a plant is likely to go hermie indoors it is just as likely to hermie outdoors.
    It's about Strain genetics. If the plant in question already has a trait to express phenotypically hermaphrodism, that's it, any little thing and no thing may 'cause' it to change sexual expression. But this is why you can't change Mother Nature. Cloning is the only true copy.

Happy Farming...

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by JustThisGuy View Post
    Each of the 'parents' of the S1 have identical genes. However, when an organism creates gametes, only half of the genes are selected from the parent. If a trait is genomic, or true-breeding like purple color or a particular pistil, it will be passed on, barring mutation during the formation of the seed and/or germination, etc. Traits that may be recessive or show up in different phenotypes, (think albino rabbits and their eerie pink eyes) are sometimes 'double-recessive'.

This means that an offspring (our S1) has a 25% chance of expressing a characteristic that the mother had in her genetic makeup, but was not visible in her phenotype.

Let's say our mother has dark green stems. About half of the phenotypes germinated have dark green stems. One quarter of the phenos have very light green stems, but another quarter of her sisters have a trait like Purple Stems that show up in 1/4 of the seeds germinated.

The chart would look like this:

XX=Purple Stem
    Xx=Dark Green Stem
    xx=Pale Green Stem
    Our mother would have Xx for this particular gene.
    Parents X x
    X XX Xx
    x Xx xx

The outcome is that there is a one in four chance that this particular situation could produce a different expression of this particular trait.
    1 in 4 will be Purple
    1 in 4 will be light green
    2 in 4 will be dark green

Hope this helps...
    True but every trait of the mother falls into the same mix....Taste , Smell , Leaf color, Blade shape the list is endless and each trait does not follow it's parent because of the recessive dominant gene pool. that's why you might look like your father but you are not him....

Happy Farming...

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 165
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I made some home made fem seeds and regardless to what the Fools say they are stable I have grown my own Beans out three times 100% fem no hermis nothing..

JustThisGuy

0 Not allowed!
    I'm merely suggesting that making assumptions based on limited data is risky; correlation does not imply causality. Just because someone has done something does not prove that something is repeatable under a variety of conditions, nor with a variety of starting genetics. There are a staggering number of combinations possible within the variances contained in the 40 chromosomes carrying over 131 BILLION base pairs of data.

Some fem seeds are stable, some aren't. I don't doubt that jeff1's homemade fem seeds are stable, and I have purchased stable fem seeds, and even made a stable S1 strain (NL x BB in my current grow, looks good so far, but time will tell.)

Inbreeding has a statistically significant probability of expressing undesirable traits. Any self-fertilized seed that is self fertilized has a 1 in 4 chance of expressing an undesired trait. It may be the loss of drought resistance, mold resistance, a change in the THC or CBD percentage or one of a 1.72 x 1018 different possible traits (based on the scientifically obtained 1% variance in the cannabis Genome)
    Last edited by JustThisGuy; 01-17-2014 at 03:58 AM. Reason: Math correction and a link

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 165
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Well said man on the other hand I have had fem seed stock that was Horrible all five beans showed undesirable traits.. Mind you these were purchased from a breeder and it is all part of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustThisGuy View Post
    I'm merely suggesting that making assumptions based on limited data is risky; correlation does not imply causality. Just because someone has done something does not prove that something is repeatable under a variety of conditions, nor with a variety of starting genetics. There are a staggering number of combinations possible within the variances contained in the 40 chromosomes carrying over 131 BILLION base pairs of data.

Some fem seeds are stable, some aren't. I don't doubt that jeff1's homemade fem seeds are stable, and I have purchased stable fem seeds, and even made a stable S1 strain (NL x BB in my current grow, looks good so far, but time will tell.)

Inbreeding has a statistically significant probability of expressing undesirable traits. Any self-fertilized seed that is self fertilized has a 1 in 4 chance of expressing an undesired trait. It may be the loss of drought resistance, mold resistance, a change in the THC or CBD percentage or one of a 1.72 x 1018 different possible traits (based on the scientifically obtained 1% variance in the cannabis Genome)