Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about going Hydro

0 Not allowed!
    Whats up peeps!!! Im thinking about switching to hydro (dwc) with a 3 gal bucket for seedling/veg stage than 5 Gal for flowering.. Do anyone as any advise as for the pump/airstone. Water change frequency, nutes schedule... Organic or chemical with hydro whats better??? It will be grown under 300w LED marshydro in a 2x3x5' grow tente! Ah and yeah it will be Quebec Gold autoflower feminized strain ill be growing!!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,988
    Given: 7,079
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...i would strongly recommend that you go with a passive form of hydro first, you have already stated you lack gardening experience and that this is your first cannabis growing experience so DWC might be a recipe for failure until you know a bit more.

...hempy's are very simple to run and will give you almost the same growth rates as DWC without any of the hassles.

...a few of my early coco hempy's.

DSCI0043.jpg

105_0014.jpg

105_0001.jpg

...and here is a shot that illustrates how a hempy bucket works, first, any watertight container can be made into a hempy, all you do is make a single drainage hole about 2 - 3 inchs up the side of the container, then you fill the bottom of the container, up to that single drainage hole, with hydroton or grorocks or gravel or perlite or lavarock...

DSCI4494.jpg

...then you fill the rest of the pot with straight coco and just pot the plant into the coco like it was soil.

...anyway doing this creates a mini reservoir at the bottom of each pot and you'll want to water each pot every other day until you get runoff from that single drainage hole, if you shoot for about 15% runoff you'll essentially be flushing your plants each time you water so they will always have a balanced nutrient solution to drink from.

...if you then combine this with KISS style feeding you almost can't fail.

peace, SOG

once you get a couple crops under your belt you will have a much better chance at success with any active hydro.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice and simple setup you got there! Actually ive been weighting the pros and con all week.. And reading a lot on dwc and i feel more comfortable with dwc than i do with soil and coco. I mean i understand more and its simpler for me to understand the system of dwc! As for me the nutes feeding schedule and water change is simple and easy for as as the ph/ppm water levels all of that is easier to control for me with dwc! I would be easir quicker and simpler for me dwc than with soil or coco due to the place i live etc... The only thing that bothers me is the oxygen level and the operation time of the air pump. Do i let it run 24/7 so that theres a constant air circulation in the water or does this as schedule to respect.... Thats my main questioning right now... I think i got the rest covered ive read a lot this week and im amazed by dwc!!! Btw i was going for coco but soiless is the way to go for me personally. All i need to do is check my oxygen for the root and be strict on water/nutes shcedules and the rest is daily maintance!! Im sooo enjoying at the moment i found a new passion!!!!!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...as someone who has grown in soil, DWC and hempy buckets i'm here to tell you that hempys are the simplest, ESPECIALLY for newcomers and that DWC is the most difficult and not because it is hard or even all that complicated but just because there are several variables that can cause serious problems and as a newcomer you will not just be able to look at your plants and know what your problem is.

...that's not to say DWC can't be done by a newcomer, just that DWC is much more difficult than it appears when reading about it.

...with coco hempy's it's almost foolproof, ...about as difficult as tieing your shoes.

...either way, good luck.

peace, SOG

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...oh and as for the air pump, you MUST run that pump 24/7, if you don't you WILL be sorry.

...with hempy's there are no pumps that can fail or stop during a power outage so your plants will survive, actually your plants CAN go at least a few days without light before problems arise, with DWC if that air pump fails or you get a power outage your plants will all be dead in about 4 hours.

...in my humble opinion passive hydro WITHOUT any pumps is the way to go as your first step into hydro.

...but i can only offer advice, it's up to you whether or not you follow it.

peace, SOG

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Tell me more about your hempy bucket would you care to elaborate and explain me step by step how to prepare with a lost of materials needed.. Etcc.. I will received my light and tent this week im trying to find easiest way for me to start!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,415
    Given: 521
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Like @someoldguy mentions DWC is harder.
    In DWC flushing means dumping and replacing 5 gallons on solution vs flushing with straight water. DWC right at the start the entire bucket of solution is subjected to contamination. Be sure you use non light penetrating buckets or film so algae doesn't start up. Always remember the ppm is only that meaning it doesn't mean your nutrients are good. Could be all unwanted particles giving the ppm. On and on and you are best to be reading mixing solution because its make or break on that.
    You stick a bunch of females together and don't want any problems? Good luck. They are going to mess you up.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...i've discussed hempy's in my 'random doins' thread plus, if you do a web search or a YouTube search you will find many, many, many hours of information on their use.

...as for materials for hempy growing you start with any kind of watertight container with the caveat that the container must be drillable so you can make the single drainage hole, so glass and steel and ceramic containers would be difficult.

...as you can see from my pics above i personally started making hempy's from cut down 2liter Coke bottles, if you zoom in on the picture you'll be able to see the single drainage hole where the coco meets the perlite, i no longer use perlite btw as i find it too messy.

...anyway, many folks will use 5gallon or 3gallon buckets as their containers and with a larger bucket you'll want to make the drainage hole 3 - 4 inchs from the bottom, what you're aiming for is for the bottom 15% or so of the bucket to be the reservoir.

...so, now you have your bucket i would recommed using hydroton or grorocks or lavarock for the bottom of the bucket, if using lavarock you may want to break the bigger pieces, you want chunks about 3/4 inch in size although i doubt this is critical.

...then i recommend straight coco and i personally use the cheap 5kg bales available for about $15.00USD per bale either at a grow shop near you or from Amazon or other online outlet.

...and then i would be recommending MaxiBloom as the sole nutrient so there are no complicated formulas to remember for each stage of growth, just 7grams of the MaxiBloom per gallon of water, some ph up to raise the ph up to 5.2 - 5.8 and then feed this to all stages from 3 week old seedling to rooted clones to flowering plants, you feed them all the same. (for a ph up product i would recommend either Protekt or Silica Blast as both will not only balance the ph, they also both add some silica to the mix which promotes stronger stem growth)

...anyhow, do a search and if you don't find what you're looking for let me know and i'll post up some links.

...i should point out too that the original hempy method was somewhat different with a perlite/vermiculite mix rather than coco and that while this mix works just fine, the original poster who shared the hempy tech with this community some 15 years ago is now using coco.

peace, SOG

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 358
    Given: 52
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I started my indoor grows with a RDWC rig I fabbed up. I stick with GH flora trio for my nutes-pretty simple and gives me great results. Keeping light out of the containers is vital and keeping the solution aerated gives me the best results. SOG has given you a very detailed guide to getting started growing-I'd stay with the simplest method until you are comfortable growing inside. Then you can explore different grow techniques.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,507
    Given: 1,625
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Sog, what the heck is Market Blend, I Gulp down gallons of that stuff and I've never seen that one.

Also they are spot on you do not want to just dive into water culture. Shit goes sideways way faster and its real hard to get control of the ball once that starts.

Why are you doing hydro? If its just for yields you can get that in soil easy.

It always helps to know the whole why.

In my experience, plants will outgrow a 5 gallon bucket before they are done if you even get close to nailing it. That's why all the DWC we see are in totes.

That bigger Aquarium Theory works in soil as well.

Overzise the flowering containers, and veg for days. These are nine 20 gal totes in a tent under two 600s. Believe me, I got an unthinkable amt of pot out of that one.

If your trying to hurry the plants along, there is nothing you can do. Everything we do to speed things up screws quality in one way or another. Bigger plants but less hours of less fun smoking it.

We should do better than that for ourselves and any customers we are lucky enough to have.

I would recommend doing soil still and slowing down, and treat it as a zen garden.
    Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet?