Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 221
    Given: 10
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Co² releasing Powder Bags

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I tested this Co² Bags one can buy In growshops for around 20 Bucks...,you stab some holes into them and hang them close to the light.The Heat makes some chemical reaction going on which stinks a bit like Ammonia...(but only when you put your nose in and smell),and then Co² falls down to your Plants.

I thought its more of a Gimmick,but i had some Credit (free) in my Growshop for reviwing things and i thought "well,lets try it" and got me such a Bag...

I used 3 Clones of a Motherplant i grow since over a Year... i know exactly what Yield i get from it normaly...and with the Co2 Bag i got 1/6 part more then usual,so like 17% or so ? (im bad in Math)...
    What i can say for sure is,that its not some gimmick,it does work..and the money is good spend on it...

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 517
    Given: 823
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I have no doubt they work

What is the cost of the bags over a 12 - 16 week grow though? I imagine bottled CO2 is gonna be significantly cheaper isn't it?

It's one that I have been looking into for a while... yield increases with CO2 are pretty much a given so long as the other factors are kept optimal. Probably next summer I do it, when I have enough heat in the rooms to be at near optimal levels for running CO2, which is up to about 10°F hotter than usual. The extra heat allows faster metabolism basically to make the most of the enriched air is the idea of that from what little I understand of it. Veg times are significantly shortened, which makes for faster end-to-end production apparently...

did it shorten your veg times and make for faster growth, or just larger yield at the end in your case Burner?

do you have any idea at what level your CO2 was coming from the bags? how many PPM it was putting in the air etc?

cheers
    PO

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,376
    Given: 502
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Seen video of guys playing using dry ice and they throw the ice in containers of water. I see it as ridiculous putting the dry ice in water so it dissolves faster. If used just have it partially insulated so it steadily evaporates CO2 into the air. Even having the dry ice in a cooler should work because people buying coolers of dry ice have been know to make the mistake of having the cooler in the car where they crash from being overcome by CO2. You don't notice the onset or final passing out from that stuff so beware using it. Be especially careful indoors since it is heavier and will go under doors or through electrical outlets and come out at any available leak point.

You need to know even having a generator running outside a window with slight CO2 being allowed in the room can kill you. CO2 does not break off of your hemoglobin as easily as O2 and it will hold on better than O2 so a slight increase of CO2 exposure can be dooming since the CO2 wins out slowly cutting off O2 intake till death if allowed. Again worse yet you never see the problem coming and can feel euphoric on the way to passing out and death. Be careful with any type of CO2.

Something like that. Play safe.
    You stick a bunch of females together and don't want any problems? Good luck. They are going to mess you up.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I have considered exploring CO2 but I question when to use it and how to introduce it. When my lights are on so are the fans and they exchange the air in the cabinet several times a minute. I tried dry ice for one day but it would have cost $10.00 per day.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about" credit Jimmy Buffett

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,376
    Given: 502
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by graygrower View Post
    I have considered exploring CO2 but I question when to use it and how to introduce it. When my lights are on so are the fans and they exchange the air in the cabinet several times a minute. I tried dry ice for one day but it would have cost $10.00 per day.
    During daytime, plants use the CO2 and a little O2 in photosynthesis respiration. During night they mostly off gas and that's more than daytime CO2 off gassing. Pretty much light lit periods is the time for CO2 addition. Saw a thing on how much CO2 for best results and it figured a lot isn't required. With a sealed area with slow release of CO2 things should work fine. I don't think for one plant it would require much over a half slab that looks like a half piece of bread. It's not like the plant has an intake like a race car so dumping a lot in doesn't mean the plant can take it all in. Leaving the dry ice insulated still has it evaporating slowly so I figure that fine to apply CO2 that way not burning through a lot of it.

My figuring is just having pets with the plants would keep applying more CO2 than usual open air conditions. Just remember night time the plants can off gas CO2 so maybe don't have the pets sleep with the plants.

You stick a bunch of females together and don't want any problems? Good luck. They are going to mess you up.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 5
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Tropical, that's about what I thought. I doubt I'll add a CO2 system until I just can't find anything else to add to the cabinet.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about" credit Jimmy Buffett

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 517
    Given: 823
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    CO2 is at it's most useful only once you reach the upper levels of light saturation

to me, that is when you are throwing down high wattage per m2 and exceeding PPFD measurements of 1100, which very few of us at the hobby level do anyway

PPFD vs PhotosynEff%.png

so as you can see by the graph, under normal atmospheric conditions, you have a diminishing steepness in the curve where light output is not directly related to photosynthetic rate, ie. more light does not mean the same proportion of increased growth as you keep adding more light; eventually you reach a point of diminishing returns. In my mind, where CO2 shines is allowing you to basically raise the theoretical maximum above 100%, so you can smash them with more light and higher temps and maintain a steeper curve right up into the high PPFDs of 1000 and beyond. Obviously the plants do not function above 100% in any scenario, but if the graph is raised with CO2 then 100% function is a lot more attainable at a lower PPFD than 1500 LOL you'll have to excuse my bad explanation, but I reckon you fellas follow what I'm saying

that's not to say it can't be effective at lower lighting levels, but it really isn't something to wanna spend money on IMHO until you are at that level of lighting anyway, and requires a complete other approach than normal venting setups to be cost effective. You'd be better off buying better/more lights first if you aren't at the max for the space already, once you are at the limit of light and hit the theoretical yield wall basically, then CO2 will take you further again in the yield department is my understanding of it

depending on where you grow in the house, how big it is, and how many living things live there, you may be surprised to find that you already have quite nice CO2 levels anyway, significantly above the normal ambient levels outside. If you can get a loan of a meter from a heating/boiler technician pal it is worth a look, they are expensive to buy though

nice one
    PO

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 221
    Given: 10
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Bottled Co² i would get in the Welding Area of the "Home Depot" Equivalent in my Country for the same price as those Bags...
    But then i got a Bottle... what i do with it ?? Just release some Gas by "thumb measure" ? my Fans would blow it away in no Time...

But those Bags... well they just said punch some holes,then hang over the Plants... lasts 2 Months...
    I thought "well this is something they rip off newbie growers with" and never took it serious,untill i got this free credit and tested it....
    And the Results... well they speak for themself.....i have my Trainwreck Motherplant since over a Year i realy know very well what i get normaly from her in Yield...
    So this Bags must work 100% .... there cant be a other reason why my Trainwrecks suddenly made noticeable biger buds...

What i used is called "Co 2 Bag" and this is the Website
    http://www.co2bag.info/

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    what I'm concerned regarding these co bags is, could they produce some nasty stuff as mold and fungus? because it must be something connected with decay of matter/food no?