Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New grower with harvest question

0 Not allowed!
    First time grower here. I have three plants that have been growing in my garden all year. I think they're getting close to harvest time but not certain. My neighbor that gave me tips all year moved away a few weeks ago so I have no one else to ask.
    I'll attach three pictures, each one is from a bud on top of a different plant.
    It hasn't gotten down to freezing or frost here yet but it's supposed to get close to freezing a few nights next week. Not sure if I should be concerned about that or not.
    Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_6912.jpgIMG_6913.jpgIMG_6914.jpg

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 352
    Given: 51
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    You're getting close. I would invest in a small loupe to get a closer look. I have had plants survive a light frost(hi 20's) with no problems.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I doubt I can find a loupe in this small town but I might try a macro shot with my wife's camera. The shots I posted were just from my phone. I'lltry to at least find a decent magnifying glass if nothing else.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,066
    Given: 2,631
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    A magnifying glass will work if you already have pretty good vision. You can see the trich stalk fairly well but seeing the head is iffy at best. You will be able to determine color to some degree and that's the main thing. It's all up to the individual the way I see it.

There is one problem. I don't see any well defined calyx's. They don't really looked all that filled out. I think this is the flower stage that you are in. Have you added any phosphorous to your soil? They like a lot of phosphorous and a healthy amount of potassium during the later flower stage like you are in now. I grow totally organic but have used bone meal which is really borderline IMHO. You can get a pretty decent response by just dissolving a big handful in water and pouring it into your soil but it won't get the full effect of the meal. That takes time to break down in your soil and should be put there when you plant. If you do this those flowers will swell up and get pretty dense.

The various colors and brown pistils seem to reflect that you've probably had some cool temps outside, not so much that it's time to harvest. It happens. Try some phosphorous.
    "Most people don't understand me but that's a good thing. It means the world is a much safer place to live."
    -DownSouth

"Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change."
    -Confucius

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Well ready or not, I harvested one of my three today.
    DownSouth, The only thing I used in the soil was a couple months ago my neighbor gave me some fish oil to add. I mixed a couple teaspoons in 2 1/2 gal of water every few days and gave them that. Then about six weeks ago I would give them a little Miracle Grow a couple times a week. Other than that it's been plain water and nothing else.
    I'll add a few pictures from a stalk I cut off today which I think will show the calyx's. I'm totally new to all this so really just going by what a couple people have told me and what I've read on the net. I haven't even smoked hardly any in the last 25 years. I just started growing these on a whim when my step daughter asked if I could find her some seeds last year. I did find her some and kept a few for myself and got these three plants out of them this year.
    My other two plants are pretty much at the same stage as the one in these pictures. I was planning to harvest those two this coming weekend.

IMG_6928.jpgIMG_6929.jpgIMG_6930.jpg

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I got ahold of a 40x loupe today. Hard for me to tell if they're clear or milky. I almost want to say mostly clear. I attempted a couple pictures through the loupe.

IMG_6934.jpgIMG_6935.jpg

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6,950
    Given: 7,040
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    ...yeah man, i'd strongly recommend that you scrape together $11.00 and get you one of these, i've personally used several different ocular devices over the years and this one is my favorite with lighted 30x and 60x lenses.

61ARPCCWSkL._SL1500_.jpg

peace, SOG

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I plan on it!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 156
    Given: 78
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
    ...yeah man, i'd strongly recommend that you scrape together $11.00 and get you one of these, i've personally used several different ocular devices over the years and this one is my favorite with lighted 30x and 60x lenses.

peace, SOG
    I have tried them all and now have one of these loupes. The best for our needs!
    Never thought it would happen - Legalized in Massachusetts - Dec. 15, 2016

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I just ordered one from Amazon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast