Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 15
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stripping leaves for better air flow?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everyone, I have 8 outdoor plants and they are all in flower and the humidity is rather high (above 50% most days). Every day I look for bud rot and find a little here and there on most of the plants. My question is, should i strip off a lot of the leaves to promote better air flow? If so, do I strip off all the leaves that do not grow from the buds? I just don't want to put too much stress on the plants and also as you can see, they are all big plants and will take a while to strip off all the leaves.

Another question that is similar, does anyone know of a good natural preventative measure I can take against Bud rot?

Thank you in advance for all the help and keep growing my friends.
    20170829_090100.jpg20170829_090052.jpg

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 49
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I think that a lot of it depends on the strain. I live in the Smokies so it rarely gets dry here. I remove only the fan leaves that are blocking light from the interior of the plant.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,061
    Given: 2,617
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    You have a nice open garden so you are getting about the best airflow you can hope for. Shake the water off of your plants after a rain or a very low dew point, especially if you are expecting overcast skies. This eases the evaporation process, keeping your blooms drier and less chance for mold to set in. That's going to be your biggest preventative. Where I live the humidity usually varies between 60-100% during this month, depending on the time of day. Uncomfortable for me but the plants seem to take it well. As far as removing foliage goes, it would appear that the jury is still out on that. Some say yes while others say don't. I guess it would depend on whether or not you are a betting man. Some of the hardest words I ever spoke were "Damn. I wish I hadn't done that." I'm told that indoor growers do it mostly for light penetration. Their lights don't move like the sun does which allows your plant to receive light at different angles throughout the day. Nice plants. Have fun trimming all of that. lol.
    Last edited by DownSouth; 09-13-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    "Most people don't understand me but that's a good thing. It means the world is a much safer place to live."
    -DownSouth

"Only the wisest and stupidest of men never change."
    -Confucius

“Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7,929
    Given: 9,462
    Mentioned
    338 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Nice plants @Semper420 I make sure there is no plant matter lying around on the ground under the plant. Also there will be dead and dying leaves inside your plants. These must get out of there or when they are wet they rot and cause other parts of the plants to rot.

As for the pulling off leaves. I take very very few off the outer part of the plants but I do take them from the inner parts of the plant. The parts where the sun doesn't shine. There must be air circulation inside the plants or mildew will form and all sort of problems happen after that.

In the future you should cut out some of the lower branches so you get more air under the plants. At least a foot of bare space between plants and ground.

Nice job but watch for mold
    Muk

"Growing is an "Art". It's like a Ballet!
    A Symphony of possibilities!!"...Siren