Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 154
    Given: 243
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screen Size for Dry Card Sieving? 160->90->75 microns?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, All.

Stopping back after a long time away. Long story. Or not. I’m high.

So I’ve decided to try to turn 3 ounces of stored “okay" bud into some good hash. I had hoped to use the old fashioned sieve method with one size screen like 90 or 100 (I’m not into investing much time or money into this), but, no. After 4 hours of researching it, all I know is that everyone disagrees, some believing that it depends, in part on strain (with most stating that making resin, using butane shit, etc is the “only way to go, bro!”). This is frustrating.

I’ve never really understood why multiple screens are needed, rather than just going straight to the desired mesh (i.e., 75, 90, etc). Will skipping a stage like 160 prevent some of the trichs from getting through and afterward breaking up enough to get through the 90, 75, etc? I’m sure it becomes apparent once you've through the process once. I don’t want to learn that way.

So to get right to it, does anyone have a generic screen size that works for them without doing passes through others? Or, is there a sequential set of mesh sizes that will usually provide good product (i.e. - 190->90->75, etc)? I’m not looking to make something that I have to give away because it’s weak, but I don’t need to produce the tar everyone is talking about either (not that that would be possible with just “okay” weed).

Thanks, everyone.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,342
    Given: 486
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Never done it but I have visited Jorge Cervantes' site.

Just prior to 8 minutes he talks about different size rating of EU and NA and what's close enough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZgrMObz16Y

Leafly's video goes over some points on making from buds instead of hanging whole plants. I always remember leafly doesn't know how to roll a joint or have writers that know how to spit it out.

You stick a bunch of females together and don't want any problems? Good luck. They are going to mess you up.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 486
    Given: 744
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    the way I see it is this basically: you are collecting resins from both sides of the screen with dry sift. So what I mean to say is that if you use a 160 and 73 for example you are going to have the 160 to keep most of the debris out, then you are gonna be collecting 159-73 from the top of the second screen and under the second screen is going to be everything under 73 micron

The only issue with that is maybe you don't want the lower micron dirtying up your numbers closer to the 73. So maybe you do the 160 as the initial separating screen, then you use a 45 and catch 159-45 on top of the screen and everything below 45 as your cooking hash. I regularly do bubblehash and use all the work bags but only the 45 and 25 catch bags; you will not be disappointed with a 159-45 all together if your work process is clean. Makes a fantastic upper grade without all the fuss of the many bags shenanigans dance, and then you got that 25 (and occasionally some 160) to throw into the jar for cooking with. Just another approach

You wanted easy and that is about the easiest way to your aim of very little money or energy, use a 160 as the upper screen and something like about a 45 or so, you can probably reach a very decent product with the use of two screens, some practice, and a little care about how you do the process. Dry sift can also be cleaned up by static carding etc but again I think that is going to require some other micron sizes to be really effective

I am not a dry sift guy so you should fact check what I said about micron sizes anyway, but I believe for dry sift the moisture content and temperature of both the material and the atmosphere is fairly paramount also. In any case I think you can get away with only two screens if you really want, but I agree one screen there is going to be some loss one way or the other or your quality will be destroyed by the debris at the upper end of the micron or the shittier low micron trichs. The prime range is optimally around 160-60 in most cases I have found (strain dependent), but including down to the 45 in that pile doesn't hurt anything quality-wise really and beefs up the amount somewhat. I also think a hash with a wide micron range is more full-bodied, earthy and aromatic once it is properly pressed compared with having 6 different sizes or whatever pressed individually

all just my own humble experience

good luck
    PO