Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

spunkybudz

what does the male and female do when making a cross

0 Not allowed!
    just as an example, say I want to cross Gorilla Glue with a Blueberry and want the GG high and BB taste, which plant should be the male and which should be the female or does it matter ?

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 368
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @spunkybuz
    Most of the research I have read states the only way to truly know is to breed em and grow the f1's to see what dominant traits were in the pairing. When paired (GG x BB) the off spring will be heterozygous for all traits. They will be paired and one will be dominant, which will express itself. I paired a Mango x Blue cheese. I was unsure which leaf color was dominant. I was hoping the Blue Cheese deep green leaf was and the off spring would display it. Well when the 2 leaf colors are paired the Mangos light green leaf wins. What does this mean? When pairing GG x BB the flavor will reflect which was dominant or a mixture. Now if you want the GG high you would have to grow and smoke the progeny/offspring of the pairing. The f1's. Now despite a dominant trait being expressed, like the GG flavor was dominant and smothered everything. You can breed your f1's with eachother amd get f2's. This is where it gets interesting. The pairing of genes allows the recessive genes normally dormant to be expressed. This is when you start choosing your plants that have the BB smell AND save clones of flowered plants to see which had (which clone has) the desired GG high that you love. It doesnt matter which is which. GG male or BB male. F1's will display dominant genes. If what you like is not there, breed to your f2's. Studying how a punett square works and mendellian genetics will help. The monk discovered dominant and recessive genes working with peas. He was a breeding pimp! I do believe I may have read that males play a lot to do with smell. But this is one of the ways one can pick a male is by rubbing the stalk to check its bouquets strength. Correct me if I said anything wrong people. I am studying this breeding stuff pretty hard lately.
    Puff!
    Last edited by Patient puffer; 07-26-2017 at 04:04 AM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    And if you got your BB taste on your F1's but didnt get the GG high. You could back cross you F1 to your P1 GG parent for (F1 bx P1) which techinally is an F2, trying to get a pair of recessive genes aligned for the GG high which wasnt dominant. Which would have to be selected for while maintaining the BB flavor. Genetics are a trip. And I have only scratched the surface.

spunkybudz

0 Not allowed!
    yeah I just read the sticky by Doobieduck and yeah wow is all I can say, I love the BB smell and taste would just like to get a little more kick to it or find such strain

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    You make it. I want the. Blue cheese resin production but the mango yield. So far I know I have the Blue cheese's tight node spacing. Mango leaf color. And thats it really. More to come soon.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Theres others here that know way more than I do and have tons of experience.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Male ready to drop some polle
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    @Patientpuffer
    Wow, quite interesting, it does raise more questions then answers so I guess I need to do some reasearch.