Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,136
    Given: 403
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hanna pH/EC/TDS/Temperature Tester

0 Not allowed!
    Anyone with experience with these guys quality? When shopping this link looking like the manufacturer seemed to sell for the same as outside. Hardest thing to figure was the Growline in the link was near impossible to find elsewhere and if found was the same price. Then there's the it's cheaper to buy the concerned testing's in separate devices but wasn't interested in swapping around devices while lifting lids.

Realize if answering I might ask question when it arrives

http://hannainst.com/hi98131-ph-ec-t...ne-tester.html

You stick a bunch of females together and don't want any problems? Good luck. They are going to mess you up.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    One problem I have to learn to stay away from is when going through the menu don't hit SET/HOLD because it dumps your pH calibration. Tap the MODE button to page through menu. Using the quick calibration solution that allows setting pH with a one point solution that has a set ppm the device doesn't seem to read as accurate but doesn't error too far like .25 maybe max but I am not rinsing between dips in the same solution. Comes with batteries X4 type of camera batter but the manual doesn't say what series battery. If you accidently hit MODE it going to turn off. Maybe 10 oops so far. This is when I'll re dip for Ph and EC or ppm and wonder is I can trust the thing. Even the right after last reading not turning off is a little off but beat sticking my tongue in there. When reading EC if you picked wanting to see ppm you first get the EC for a couple seconds then ppm which I like. Then if you have it set to show EC you never see ppm. This is where I blew it mostly hitting MODE when the device has already left the menu so its no way out of shut down. I figure just leaving it set to show ppm and get a quick look at EC before ppm's.

With the way the sensor for pH is fabricated needing a storage solution and you really shouldn't use distilled water I'm guessing a lot of guys are thinking they got an accurate reading bit didn't. Having the temperature, pH and EC is nice all in one device but buying separate meter is cheaper. Not sure if the others are waterproof though. I'm figuring reaching in DWC buckets for a reading might sometime make me happy its waterproof.

I'll keep an eye on the differences of readings. Maybe improve my rinsing and use a larger sample since so far I've only double checked using calibration fluid. Should tried it when making 5 gallons of nutrients but.......maybe I did and it wasn't very different. Memory hehehe
    You stick a bunch of females together and don't want any problems? Good luck. They are going to mess you up.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 349
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    yeah I have never even seen this combo version meter from them until now

but I can testify my extremely cheap Hanna Checker pH pen stays very true for extended periods without calibration. Sometimes I will only use it once at the start of a grow to make sure my tap water isn't straying, and I always test it against some calibration solution at the same time. Rarely if ever needs re-calibrated, and I believe the new model is a one push button calibration instead of the old two screws type for 4/10 and 7 pH calibration fluid

TDS-3 is the dirt cheap PPM meter I use, also very effective and surprisingly stable. Really this is more for checking water quality at different times of year and troubleshooting stuff, I don't add any soluble nutes that you would PPM to my water

I imagine that Hanna will serve you well; they have been in the scientific game since forever basically, and fairly good I would say

nice one
    PO

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I'm experimenting/fooling with a Kratky method of just let the plants sit in the nutrients with no bubbler or flow. Maybe some day after figuring out what the ppm's are doing I'll know if I can cut back on dissolving dry nutes into solution when ppm's rise so much or if I should increase dose if ppm's fall while water level is falling. There isn't much evaporation in Kratky so it should be good for knowing what the intake of a plant it. special baby formula for the greens

Before getting the meter I'd wonder about ppm's and pH when topping off with water or more nutrients diluted or not. Now it's mad scientist. I can go high or low or even go low ppms with a general solution and add/boost calcium or Epsom salt up to ppm's desired to regret later

I can tell you algae eats calcium fast.