Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,800
    Given: 5,913
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    *** please note that everything i'm posting is purely my opinion and just giving another option... other growers may not agree with what i say but just giving you another option to think about and of coarse whatever i say is always up for discussion, tend to believe that i am a very open minded grower and will always listen to reason......

Quote Originally Posted by AngloSaxon View Post
    Hey, thanks man. They’re all from some Jack Herer seeds that I got from SOS (there is a supposed Blue Dream mixed in there somewhere, but I don’t think I got any pics of her yet). The plants have actually been through just about every bad growing practice and have never been under a quality bloom light (HPS, LEC, high-end LEDs, etc). Won’t be a big harvest either, as only the very top of the canopy on these 4’ plants gets any appreciable amount of light. Basically, I totally f’d this grow, but the girls are trying to show off for me anyway. lol I’m kinda thrilled to get such nice input on my buds, given how down I’ve been about messing up the grow so badly (though I learned a lot about what not to do next time). I see a lot of potential in several of the plants, given the circumstances, so I really hope that my idea of transplanting them outside for the summer and/or taking clones from them works out. Wish me luck! I did have a few other questions, if anyone is so inclined:

1. I’ve just recently starting hearing about leaving plants in total darkness for several days before harvesting, and now thanks to @stoney, I know that it’s supposed to promote oil production. Are there any downsides? I would think that the lack of light would stress the plants terribly (maybe that’s why they produce the oil?), possibly lead to hermies, and at the very least, leave them too weakened to be transplanted outside in the spring. Thoughts?
    no down sides that i've ever heard of or experienced... i've personally gone up to three weeks of post flower darkness without ill affects,,, ganja plants produce trics during dark times and the lights degrade it, then the plants builds it up again. fortunately for us it builds way more trics than the sun can degrade. as far as hermies go, i feel it is a very overrated word that terrifies some growers to point where they even throw away their plants... please don't be one of those... hermies are not always a bad thing, if there were no herms than there would be no feminised seeds... a hermi trait is either in the genetics or its not, great genetics are next to impossible to hermi through stress. plants that came from feminised seeds can be slightly more susceptible to passing the hermie trait on. but trust me when i say most hermis are not bad. most of them shoot blanks and pollen is bunk. some nanners never even open and maybe two out of ten hermies will actually pollinate itself or other plants... now seriously i have no "proof" or science to any of my figures i'm just going by experience. i often collect any pollen i can if a plant spits one out and pollinate other plants with it to make some fem seeds. of coarse the hermi trait is now passed on in those seeds and may be stronger or weaker depending... you just never know till ya try... i hope all that babbling made sense in some way.....

2. Now that I know that it’s the trichs that produce the CBD/THC, it seems like a total shame to remove so much of the leaf while trimming (my bud leaves are awash in crystals). I’ll save the trimmings of course, and try to make some keef or hash from it. I assume that the desire to limit harshness is the only reason we all trim them basically right down to the hairs?
    trimming is a personal preference, and yes the leaves often have an off flavor that is less desirable by most.

3. A few of my buds are just starting to develop what I refer to as false seed pods, as the pistils begin to shrivel and recede. Would the appearance of more of them be another reliable indicator of ripeness?

4. If anyone happens to have any pics of buds that they’ve had that were at the peak of ripeness, it would be super-helpful to me. After comparing my pics above to a few that I found online, I really thought that I was at the point where they had to be picked, but obviously I was wrong (thanks for setting me straight, guys!).

Best wishes to all,

AS
    yes, seed pods fake or real are one indication of ripeness... i wouldn't call it a reliable one and only tell tale but yes, to an extent it is a sign of the plant fully maturing.

your fourth question kind of confuses me a little in the fact that i thought you were asking if it would be okay to let them continue flowering a few days till your landlord left town and that answer is definitely yes. now your fourth question sounds like you're asking if they are ready for harvest yet... that answer in my opinion is yeah, they look about ready.

me personally i tend to let a plant flower a little longer than most people seem to in forums so i fent your thread was a good one for me to provide some info on.... i just harvested a plant tonight and i took some photos for you to see how i like to wait... i don't scope my trics and haven't used a scope in many years now, maybe they are better quality now but my history with them has been so inconsistent it wasn;t a reliable option for me, the tric colors seem to vary depending on what angle or spectrum of light on the scope had.... so i go by the hairs receding. i'm also not a believer in cloudy being a head high and couchlock for aged amber trics... i think that is all 100% nonsense. the kind of high is in the genetics and you can't change it by when you harvest i know a lot of people will call me a ass for saying all this but i don't care i say if i'm wrong than prove it to me... i've taken sample buds all the time early on plants and never got a head high from early sample and wheelchair weed on the later harvests..... all in the genetics man!!!!!! clear, cloudy, amber is just a maturing oil and terpins changing... all the type of high comes from the different combinations of cannabinoids in the plant.

so with all that said here are a few photos of my plant... she was flowering for twelve weeks and three days in these pics.... she went into what they call foxtailling with that extra growth... it take a while for full hair receding on foxtails so i gave her the chop like this... you can see a lower bud that didn't foxtail..... and as you can see they don't look all that much different from your pics so they're ready when you are......

I'm going to go look for myself... if i get back before i return, keep me here!!!! chillin at the Circle.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,918
    Given: 1,226
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    *** please note that everything i'm posting is purely my opinion and just giving another option... other growers may not agree with what i say but just giving you another option to think about and of coarse whatever i say is always up for discussion, tend to believe that i am a very open minded grower and will always listen to reason......

no down sides that i've ever heard of or experienced... i've personally gone up to three weeks of post flower darkness without ill affects,,, ganja plants produce trics during dark times and the lights degrade it, then the plants builds it up again. fortunately for us it builds way more trics than the sun can degrade. as far as hermies go, i feel it is a very overrated word that terrifies some growers to point where they even throw away their plants... please don't be one of those... hermies are not always a bad thing, if there were no herms than there would be no feminised seeds... a hermi trait is either in the genetics or its not, great genetics are next to impossible to hermi through stress. plants that came from feminised seeds can be slightly more susceptible to passing the hermie trait on. but trust me when i say most hermis are not bad. most of them shoot blanks and pollen is bunk. some nanners never even open and maybe two out of ten hermies will actually pollinate itself or other plants... now seriously i have no "proof" or science to any of my figures i'm just going by experience. i often collect any pollen i can if a plant spits one out and pollinate other plants with it to make some fem seeds. of coarse the hermi trait is now passed on in those seeds and may be stronger or weaker depending... you just never know till ya try... i hope all that babbling made sense in some way.....

trimming is a personal preference, and yes the leaves often have an off flavor that is less desirable by most.

yes, seed pods fake or real are one indication of ripeness... i wouldn't call it a reliable one and only tell tale but yes, to an extent it is a sign of the plant fully maturing.

your fourth question kind of confuses me a little in the fact that i thought you were asking if it would be okay to let them continue flowering a few days till your landlord left town and that answer is definitely yes. now your fourth question sounds like you're asking if they are ready for harvest yet... that answer in my opinion is yeah, they look about ready.

me personally i tend to let a plant flower a little longer than most people seem to in forums so i fent your thread was a good one for me to provide some info on.... i just harvested a plant tonight and i took some photos for you to see how i like to wait... i don't scope my trics and haven't used a scope in many years now, maybe they are better quality now but my history with them has been so inconsistent it wasn;t a reliable option for me, the tric colors seem to vary depending on what angle or spectrum of light on the scope had.... so i go by the hairs receding. i'm also not a believer in cloudy being a head high and couchlock for aged amber trics... i think that is all 100% nonsense. the kind of high is in the genetics and you can't change it by when you harvest i know a lot of people will call me a ass for saying all this but i don't care i say if i'm wrong than prove it to me... i've taken sample buds all the time early on plants and never got a head high from early sample and wheelchair weed on the later harvests..... all in the genetics man!!!!!! clear, cloudy, amber is just a maturing oil and terpins changing... all the type of high comes from the different combinations of cannabinoids in the plant.

so with all that said here are a few photos of my plant... she was flowering for twelve weeks and three days in these pics.... she went into what they call foxtailling with that extra growth... it take a while for full hair receding on foxtails so i gave her the chop like this... you can see a lower bud that didn't foxtail..... and as you can see they don't look all that much different from your pics so they're ready when you are......

Preach the word Brother Luv!!!!
    And can I get an Amen from the congregation!!!

Here I thought I was the only that never...Never ever???? Yes never ever "scopes" trichs.
    I look for plants to *fall off the table*. It's kinda like a drunk at the bar...when he falls off his stool you know he's done for the night. Same thing for ganja.
    Couchlock IMO is a myth. That has more to do with the smoker and where they're at more than anything.
    Case in point look at Alaskan Thunderfuck. A fave among hikers, hunters, fisherman, and guides in Alaska. You think they smoke it and take a nap on the Alaskan Tundra? No. They get after it when they smoke that cut.
    Take the same strain and give it to somebody sitting in an apartment not doing shit all day but watching tv and playing video games and they'll blame the weed for making them sit around all day doing nothing.
    Get up, get out, and move around and you'll find not many if any strains are "couchlock" even if they're an indica harvested late. Smoking that shit while being active just makes livin' all the more trippy

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 240
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, @stoney. Thanks, brotha! It’s always good to hear different opinions. Being new to this, I’m always wanting a concrete answer on things. But the truth is that lots of people who claim to be sure about something really aren’t. I find myself believing something to be true because I’ve read it over and over, only to have others say, “No way, man.” I like that you’ve tried different ways of doing things and drawn your own conclusions based on your findings.

Now about your pics. Thanks so much for taking the time to post them before harvesting - much appreciated!!! The first one made me drooooool. The third one looks like maybe it has a couple of nanners on it. Did you notice any? You’re a bit braver about those things than I am, but you make a good point about hermies being the source of fem plants. I totally don’t want it to happen, but I wonder what I’d call it if one of my Blue Dreams fertilized one of the Jack Herers, or vice-versa. Blue Jack? Jack’s Dream? lol

Interestingly, two days ago, most of my buds looked like your last pic. The smell of the plants had been unbelievably strong for several weeks and I couldn’t even control it with the exhaust fan. Now the smell seems a lot less, there seem to be fewer crystals, and some of them are doing this:

IMG_1881.jpg

Are all those new white hairs similar to fox tailing? I’m probably imagining the whole smell and crystal thing, but the hairs are definitely new (two days ago, almost every hair on this bud was red and shriveled up - no joke). The only thing I can think of is the fact that the last couple of times I watered, I added a little molasses to the water, as I recently read that flowering plants like the sugar boost. So I’m a little curious if it’s more likely that the new hair growth is from the sugar water or that the plants are trying to make one last desperate attempt to find pollen. Not anything I’m terribly worried about, just curious.

Oh, and in regard to your question about what I meant by question number 4 above, I’m definitely trying to wait a few more days until the landlord goes bye-bye. I was just saying that I was worried about ruining my buds by waiting too long, since I’d found pics of ripe buds online that looked just like mine. Enough people here have told me that I’m not going to ruin anything by waiting, that I’m feeling a lot more confident about it. At the moment, I’m waiting patiently for at least 3 more days and considering maybe leaving them in the dark for a day before harvesting to see if it makes a difference in oil production.

As I’m thinking about it, I did have some questions about final watering for anyone who wants to chime in (sorry to ask so many!). I’ve read that a lot of people like to flush their plants a week before harvesting to get out the chemical ferts. I’ve grown in all soil from the start (a mix of Foxfarm, Roots Organics, and one of the other big names, though I can’t remember which one at the moment). During flower, I also added about a tablespoonful of Roots Bloom powder (from some free sample packs) to each plant once a week as a top dressing before watering, though I stopped that about two weeks back. Since none of these contain chemical ferts (as far as I know), can I just skip the flushing? Also, is it beneficial to let the soil go a bit on the dry side during the last week before harvest? Also, I haven’t seen any of my fan leaves start to turn and die off like most people do when their buds are getting ripe. Maybe some strains just don’t go through this?

Thanks so much to stoney and everyone else who’s helped me along my journey so far. It’s been a bumpy start, but hopefully, I’ll just get better at it from here on out.
    Last edited by AngloSaxon; 04-06-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 265
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    HI, haven't read all the posts, but I I'd pick a pod and take it, or snip a big on in half and candle wax the stem to seal and let the rest of the head finish. I would, I have, some people are more patient.

best of luck~

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,136
    Given: 403
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Yes you flush the plants in soil too.
    You stick a bunch of females together and don't want any problems? Good luck. They are going to mess you up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12