Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deficiencies

Minipops

Deficiencies

0 Not allowed!
    I, and i'm sure everyone else, would like to see a much broader catalog of real colour photos that clearly show the wide array of deficiencies that present themselves. I bought the latest edition of indoor horticulture in the hopes that it would have this. Sadly, it did not. Offering only illustrations of leaves. Nowhere do i recall seeing anything shown or said about stem purpling due to magnesium deficiency. I am not criticizing anything or anyone. Just on my wish list, and many others i'm sure.

Thanks,

Minipops.

Marijuana Growing Founder
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,495
    Given: 1,584
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Single nutrients are seldom deficient by themselves. They are usually deficient in combination with other nutrients. This is why I choose drawings over fotos. The fotos I have for the book show the dominant nutrient deficient. Most often nutrient deficiencies are a result of cultural problems, temperature, water, air, etc. It is difficult to show perfectly the deficiency of a nutrient when there are so many things affecting it.

Please feel free to post any and all fotos of nutrient deficiencies here.

Thanks
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
    “Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!” George Washington
    "The War on Drugs has no greater enemy than science" Jorge Cervantes

Marijuana Growing Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,260
    Given: 514
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    The problem with useing a photo to show a problem is this. Different strains have different carictoristics. My master kush has purple leaves and stems. But others don't. Nothing is wrong. The sativa I grow Brown's on the edges and curves in word late flower. Nothing wrong. But some have a problem. So with a photo it needs to be of the same strain you are growing. But a illustration can give you basic idea without showing the caritoristic of a strain.
    Of all the things i've lost. I miss my mind the most
    Ozzy Osbourne

Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Warlock,

Well put! There is so much variation among varieties that it is impossible to make a hard and fast rule.

One thing I have done in the Nutrients chapter of the book is to rewrite the complete thing. Here is an example (700 words) of what I mean. Note there are fotos but I am not posting them for now

Potassium (K) – mobile (essential)

Draw (redraw) potassium deficiency – three stages

ME Ch 18 Potassium Dynamite (4)

Fotos of potassium deficiency

About: Potassium helps combine sugars, starches, and carbohydrates, which is essential to their production and movement. It is vital to growth by cell division. It increases the chlorophyll in the foliage and helps to regulate the stomata openings so plants make better use of the light and air. It is necessary to make the proteins that augment the oil content and improve the flavor in cannabis plants. It also encourages strong root growth and is associated with disease resistance and water intake. The potash form of potassium oxide is (K2O). Soils with a high level of potassium increase a plant's resistance to bacteria and mold.

Deficiency: Potassium deficiencies are common indoors, less common in greenhouses and somewhat common outdoors. Potassium deficiency causes the internal temperature of the foliage to climb; beyond 104°F (40°C) causing the protein in cells to burn and degrade. To cool down leaves evaporate moisture. Evaporation is normally highest on leaf edges, and that's where the burning takes place. Up to 70 percent of a plants energy is “burned” to keep cool. Potassium in excess also moves to these far areas, pores at the ends of the veins, and accumulate causing this burn which is often confused with general salt burn but is not. The chlorosis must be seen first and a dulling in the cuticle layer of the leaf, all on older leaves.

Plants with a minor deficiency appear healthy but leaves are a little too green with a dull tone. Stems thin and branching may increase. Young leaf fringes and tips discolor turning a rusty brown dehydrating and curling up. Progressively more and more older leaves (first tips and margins, followed by whole leaves) develop rust-colored blotches, turn dark and die. Stems often become weak, scrawny and sometimes brittle. Deficient plants become very susceptible to disease and pest attacks. Flowering is retarded and greatly diminished.

Cause: Potassium is usually present but fixed or bound in humus-rich and clay soils, often locked in by toxic fertilizer (salt) build-up. Excess sodium in the water source that has built up in soil, calcium magnesium and phosphorus and cold weather impair uptake of potassium.

Confused with: Potassium deficiency or endema (an abmormal accumulation of fluids) or spots caused by bacteria or fungi. Absorption of magnesium, manganese, and sometimes zinc and iron is also slowed. Burned leaf margins are also caused by low humidity and overall fertilizer (salt) burn.

Solution: Leach the toxic salt out of the soil by flushing heavily with clean water. Apply a well-balanced N-P-K fertilizer with high potassium content. Organic gardeners add fast-acting potassium in the form of liquid kelp or potash. Potassium is absorbed quickly and deficiency symptoms should disappear in a few days. Add slow-acting granite dust and greensand to outdoor planting holes.

Excess: Occasionally a problem but it is difficult to diagnose because it is mixed with the deficiency symptoms of other nutrients. Too much potassium acidifies the root zone, slows the absorption of calcium, magnesium and sometimes zinc and iron. Look for signs of toxic-potassium buildup when symptoms of calcium, magnesium, zinc, and iron deficiencies appear.

Cause: built up in soil and too much available to roots

Confused with: calcium, magnesium and sometimes iron and zinc deficiencies or general salt burn. However, coco coir gives off large amounts of K, and K is readily absorbed, and locks out Ca and Mg, the result is Ca and Mg deficiency symptoms but with tip and later marginal leaf burn from K accumulating at these points. True salt burn comes not from too much ions in the tissue but from a reversal of the osmotic gradient pulling water out of the plants not moving it into the plant. The fix in coco is to increase the EC not back it up and leach.

Solution: Flush the growing medium of affected plants with a very mild and complete fertilizer solution. Severe problems require that more water be flushed through the growing medium. Flush with a minimum of three times the volume of water for the volume of the growing medium.
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
    “Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!” George Washington

Minipops

0 Not allowed!
    LOVE IT Jorge. That kind of explaination is as valuable as any photo. I agree with both of you concerning strains manifesting deficiencies in different ways. I see your point with the drawings. I am currently working with big bud x white widow from attitude seed bank and my god ive never seen a strain so magnesium hungry. Its a right pain in the ass i tell ya.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 107
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Nice Jorge, love the preview of the nutrient chapter! clear, concise, and comprehensive
    "As they fell from heaven, the plants said, "Whichever living soul we pervade, that man will suffer no harm.'
    ~ Rigveda ~

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,654
    Given: 1,874
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    That makes it much easier to not only understand, but provides people with solutions, pitfalls and a guide to the problem if they get it.
    Its important to know all aspects of what the presence/lack of/saturation of does for the plants to be better able to understand and diagnose the problem.

Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. The book has been a labor of love many years in the making.

I´m continuing to finish up many small details. The nutrients chapter is complete except for the final edit and a few fotos of element deficiencies. If I cannot find proper fotos the artist will make the drawings.

Foto of phosphorus deficiency
    Foto of calcium deficiency
    Foto of boron deficiency

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 55
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Jorge,

Are you going to go into details in your nutrient section about the specific NPK ratio's and nutrient needs for cannabis? People in the Cannabis mainstream seem to think in terms of "product name" vs "NPK". Cannabis is so dumbed down and marketed to "bone heads" that its insulting. Especially the Advanced nutrient advertisements I read. I just recently started making my own custom fertilizers based on what Ive read that cannabis needs. But this information is very difficult to obtain. A fertilizer called Jacks Professional 5-12-26 mixed with Jack’s Professional 15-0-0 Calcium Nitrate, has given me the best results Ive ever had with my grows. Its also forced me to actually understand the "horticultural" view on cannabis VS "buy this water in a bottle product". I also spend 10-100x less now on "nutrients".

PS Thanks warlock for getting me to move down that path. You helped even if it wasnt your intention.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Im a somewhat Newbie, I've been at it for 2 Years now and have ran into a problem on my new Grow. Im reusing the soil from my last grow and it seems to be exactly what happened before is happening again. The plants get green and look lush and healthy then all of a sudden a yellowing sets in along with rusty spots, Eventually the leaf will turn crispy yellow and the plant will die. My 2 Year old other plant died and My new ones seem to be headed for the same fate.....Im going to include some pictures. Please help anyone out there. I have the Cannabis Bible and have read it over and over and i think maybe my soil needs to be leached? i don'tDSCN0158.jpgDSCN0159.jpgDSCN0162.jpgDSCN0164.jpgDSCN0165.jpg know, I just would like an expert opinon before doing anything drastic....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast