Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marijuana Growing Founder
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,489
    Given: 3,255
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Measure Cannabinoid Content

0 Not allowed!
    What do you think about a forum that discusses measuring cannabinoid content? We could even start our own database on this forum. The database would be very simple to build. Members could simply copy their laboratory gas chromatography printouts of tests and upload them. Thin layer chromatography tests could also be uploaded easily.

Cannabinoid content is incredibly important for many reasons. Sure we all know about THC, the psychoactive cannabinoid that is in cannabis. Until recently this was the only cannabinoid the vast majority of consumers cared about. Next CBD (cannabinol) became a big issue, see www.projectcbd.org. Now consumers both medical and recreational are learning about the entire cannabinoid profile that affects the overall effects of the cannabis. The subject can get a bit complex, but the basics are not that difficult to grasp and work with.

Now there are companies that provide simple test equipment in kit form that make it possible to measure the cannabinoid profile for up to 6 cannabinoids. Each test costs as little as $10 (USD). The tests are fairly accurate and provide an immense amount of information. Such tests are also easy to copy into a database, which at least one company, www.alpha-cat.org, has started. This profile and database gives gardeners the first true information about many different varieties.

Before these new thin layer chromatography (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_layer_chromatography) tests, we could rely only on the expensive $100+ tests from laboratories in a handful of medical states. Now we can do a very similar test at home for $10, 10% of the lab cost. This is big news and will propel cannabis information into the next realm of study quickly. The best part is that we can all do it ourselves.

In fact, I recently visited Michael from SickMeds (www.sickmeds.com) that has already profiled all of their seed offerings via this method. I find it tragically funny that SickMeds, a new seed company, would take the lead with this simple act. It makes me ask, "what the hell are the other companies doing?"

We as patients and health care providers and recreational users must go beyond the old world of "having the best dope in town" and come out of the shadows and let hard science determine the quality of a specific variety rather than rhetoric and subjective empirical observation. Here is our chance to function as a group world wide to achieve this goal!

Please REVIEW The Cannabis Encyclopedia on amazon. Thanks! http://www.amazon.com/Cannabis-Encyc...4331120&sr=1-3

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
    “Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!” George Washington
    "The War on Drugs has no greater enemy than science" Jorge Cervantes

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 10
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I will be testing often and would have no problem posting results for archive.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    yes please sounds great

Marijuana Growing Newbie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnycashded View Post
    I will be testing Crazy Bulk on https://www.tenderbuttons.com/crazy-bulk-review-results often and would have no problem posting results for archive.
    This was a great idea, was the database ever started?
    Last edited by azert; 09-02-2017 at 08:21 AM.

Marijuana Growing Founder
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,489
    Given: 3,255
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    @Johnnycashed,

Super cool! Would love to see test results.

Please REVIEW The Cannabis Encyclopedia on amazon. Thanks! http://www.amazon.com/Cannabis-Encyc...4331120&sr=1-3

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
    “Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!” George Washington
    "The War on Drugs has no greater enemy than science" Jorge Cervantes

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,501
    Given: 1,624
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I think we need to find out what it is we are really testing for.

We can't really know what's happening till we can correlate test results with real observed results.

I've used those home TLC test kits, they were called Cannalytics. It was a cheap thin layer chromatography set with a dye specific to the canabinoids THC THCV CBD CBN and a couple others.

Using these kits I found there was almost no correlation between the amount of these canabinoids or their relative percentages in raw flower, and the effect they had on the people using it. Rather the 'smell' was more directly related to the type and intensity of the effect on myself and others.

Once cannabis was legalized here for recreational use I was treated to many different varieties of it with the test results printed right on the jar. Often the test results are prominently displayed as these results are now being used to market the stuff.

So how does 33%THC almost 0% everything else Gorilla Glue Junior #4 feel? It should have me tripping disco balls, but it has a pedestrian effect good for little more than watching television.

Meanwhile My 18%'ish home grown awash in eye burning terpene and who knows what else has me feeling like I'm featured in a Tool video or something.

I think this will all remain a mystery until the moral stigma of anything that gets people high in any way is gone so we can include the 'personal bio assay' in cannabis testing.
    Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet?

Horse Badorities

0 Not allowed!
    What sconey said! Smoking pot is not just about the thc #. As we all know, there's a lot more in this plant than thc, more than whatever present tests are measuring for. Everybody seems to respond differently to the same genetics, too. I don't know that there can ever be empirical evaluations since every grow is different, which is part of the fun. Now, corporate weed, they'll definitely be able to put numbers on that shit. How tasty, lol!

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4,501
    Given: 1,624
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Whatever the commercial producers around here are doing wrong, they're all doing it.

Everything sold in the stores here has the same dull taste and effect. I've pulled branches out of my garden at week 6, and it's better than anything I've bought here.

Could be that every one of em is flowering out the same 5 plants.
    Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet? Is it Dry yet?

Budnovamind

0 Not allowed!
    There is a New Gas Chromatography Tester a home edition being advertised on face book for $5000.00 for Cannabis testing. I will post a link next time I see it.

Budnovamind

0 Not allowed!
    http://srigc.com/home/product_detail/model-420-gc Here is the link for the tester.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast