Register

Welcome to the Marijuana Growing forum

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 105 watt CFL's

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,423
    Given: 1,075
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

105 watt CFL's

0 Not allowed!
    My indoor grow is limited by the amount of electricity I'm able to use. I'm in an older mobile home, and have 1500 total watts available. I've found 105 watt, (actual), 400 watt rated, CFL bulbs from Amazon, for $18.46 for a PAIR of 6500K. I've been using them for 2 weeks, and the plant growth is amazing! My question is, What if any drawbacks can you see in using these lights?
    These are the lights in question:
    http://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Stu...9&keywords=cfl

Thanks very much for your input.......GrassDaddy
    "Our God given right to consume cannabis was "stolen" some 70 odd years ago ........
    And NOW, we reclaim this right by our sheer numbers.........
    GROW ON .... My Brothers ....................... GrassDaddy™"

"there are NO "stupid" questions.... however, sometimes the answers can be pretty lame........"

Most of the time, Youth & Skill are trumped by Old Age & Treachery!

"You can lead a jerk to knowledge, but you can't make him think!"....GrassDaddy

Marijuana Growing Moderator
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,399
    Given: 554
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    The draw back is that the 6500 are great for veg. But in flower you will want 2700. But if you can put 3 bulbs in there use 2 2700 and 1 6500. The plants will be shorter and basically the top buds will benefit from cfl. Leaving lower pop corn buds. So train now. Look into SCROG or LST. Get as many branches as you can. Also the buds wont be as hard as you might be use to. But still good.
    Of all the things i've lost. I miss my mind the most
    Ozzy Osbourne

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 192
    Given: 86
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I used a 125w 5600k bulb for vegetation from seedling. I am now 2 weeks into flower using that bulb plus a 55watt 2700k. Will report bud growth as it happens but I love the ease at which I can control temps and put the bulb 3" away from tops without any sign of heat damage. Though I know it will never compete with hps for yield and density.
    -"We got a report there were people drinking, getting high, and playing with model rockets in the middle of the street."
    -"Yeah. Us."

Everything I post on this website is false and for novelty use only.

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you War Lock & Mountain Man for your timely responses. I've been using CFL for several years now, and have the "color temperature" thing down pretty good. The reason I made this post was because I was very surprised to find 105 watt CFL, with excellent veg.color temp. for $9.23 each! I've followed the cfl market for some time, I paid $16 for a 62 watt 2300K at Home Depot last year. So I found this to be an amazing price.
    I believe 10 of these would make an impressive grow, and only $92 light investment. The one minus I saw was the 6,000 hour life as opposed to 10,000 hours that most of my other lights have. Please note that this light is marketed to the photo industry, therefore my question was, Is there some drawback that isn't apparent or I'm overlooking in using these for my small indoor grow.

Wishing everyone, Good luck & good grow...GrassDaddy
    "Our God given right to consume cannabis was "stolen" some 70 odd years ago ........

"there are NO "stupid" questions.... however, sometimes the answers can be pretty lame........"

Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Well you got your cfl down then. The only difference I see, and this is a might. I know most bulbs that give a hour life are based on till they go out. Not till the filliment burns low and spectrum drops. Been told photography bulbs are rated at spectrum life. But not sure. I do know a light can be on but not working. And that's why I change my HIDs after 4500 hours. Hope that helps
    Ozzy Osbourne

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    The 125w I run is probably very similar to the one you are looking at. Just be prepared to run a lot of ventilation over the bulb, these things put off significantly more heat than Home Depot bulbs. Other than that I am really happy with the bulb, should be producing around 10k lumens.
    -"We got a report there were people drinking, getting high, and playing with model rockets in the middle of the street."
    -"Yeah. Us."

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Mountain Man, I also have a 125 CFL that I purchased several years ago with a "Brite Wing" reflector. The 125 is perfect for my "germination station" set up in my bathroom. This is the "U" type lamp as opposed to the "coil" style used in the lower wattage bulbs. The 125's are "5 U" or "loop", 200 watt and up are 8 "U". I run a box fan with a dimmer switch across the light fixtures so to "sweep" the heat away from the tops of my girls. I use a laser thermometer to monitor leaf and surface temps., and a digital probe thermometer to measure soil temps. If memory serves, I believe I paid $60 to replace that 125 lamp last year. So, once again I would point out that $9.92 per 105 watt lamp is one Hell of a good buy! And IF no one comes up with a major negative regarding these lights, I plan to convert my entire indoor grow to THEM. Wishing ALL a pleasant Holiday and prosperous New Year...........GrassDaddy

Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    I say go for it. Just save the bulbs you have now. So if you find a problem you have a back up. And keep us posted
    Ozzy Osbourne

Marijuana Growing Member
    Thumbs Up
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

0 Not allowed!
    Im a big fan of CFLs, I think they have a lot to offer our industry and the low heat/low cost of these lights make them that much more desirable. I think LEDs may someday take over, the extremely low energy use coupled with almost non-existent heat are sure to catch on in the indoor growing market soon.

BTW my 125w is a 4"U" but plugs into standard bulb socket so I have it mounted in a heat lamp reflector 10" diameter with the bottom of the bulb 3" above my plant tops.
    -"Yeah. Us."

Marijuana Growing Founder
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,653
    Given: 1,719
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Hi Grass Daddy,

All very good discussion above. The only thing that I want to add is that the spiral shape of the lights and also the "U" shaped lamps that form a circle are not as efficient as the "U" shaped lamps that lay flat. Please check the foto on the link below. The reason is reflected light.

Even with all the statistics provided by the companies, they do not tell you how much light the plants receive. When the tubes are designed in a circle much of the light reflects back on the other adjacent tubes and is virtually wasted as far as the plant is concerned. A simple light meter regardless of the scale it reads out in, will prove this simple principle.

I always do my best to ask the plant or find out what the plant knows and they usually stay happier that way, ha ha!

http://www.google.es/imgres?hl=en&sa...r:11,s:0,i:121
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi
    “Make the most of the Indian hemp seed, and sow it everywhere!” George Washington
    "The War on Drugs has no greater enemy than science" Jorge Cervantes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast